1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IE/Windows Explorer not loading in NT4/SP5

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jmrogers7, Sep 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jmrogers7

jmrogers7 Thread Starter

Hello all -

Just yesterday my old laptop which is running NT4/SP5 had a glitch. When I was forced to reboot the laptop I was unable to load Internet Explorer or Windows Explorer.

When I double-click either icon to start either program all icons on my desktop will disappear for about 3 seconds. Then my desktop will reappear as normal except that the things loaded in my taskbar will also disappear (except for the clock and one other icon which I cannot remember at this moment), and Internet Exporer or Windows Explorer (whichever I have double-clicked) will not load.

I can continue doing anything after this but cannot get either to load. I can browse the Internet if I use another browser (Mozilla Firefox, Netscape Navigator). And, I can browse the files on my drive via opening a program such as Excel or Word and browse the file system that way. However, I cannot browse via Windows Explorer.

Does this have anything do do with possibly a bad "explorer.exe" file? I tried using the "Last Known Good" configuration but this did not help.

My laptop is quite old and NT4 has been a perfect operating system for it as it has been very stable up to this point. I have given thought to downgrading it to Windows 98 but I really do not wish to downgrade the operating system. Any ideas or comments will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jim

2. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

For your sanity do not leave NT for 98 - If that is the end result get W2K or XP.

Now its been a long time, but does NT have SFC? To verify if there are any corrupted files and replace them.

3. jmrogers7

jmrogers7 Thread Starter

Yes, I am aware of the downside of the "downgrade". I'm not sure that I will be able to upgrade to XP or 2000, however, I only have a 2Gb HD in the laptop. As I mentioned it is an old laptop.

I am not familiar with SFC. "Somthing File Check", maybe? In any event, I don't know if NT has this or not. Anyone?

I am almost convinced that it's an "explorer.exe" issue. But, I'd like someone to possibly confirm or refute that with me. And, if it is, how do I go about rectifying it?

Thanks again for your reply.

4. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

SFC - System FIle check - Like I said its be a long time since I hit NT so....... Try SFC from a DOS command

5. jmrogers7

jmrogers7 Thread Starter

Will do. Thanks.

You know, after thinking about it for a bit, if I had a corrupt explorer.exe then i would not have anything on my desktop if memory serves me correct. So, maybe that is not the problem.

Oh well. I will look for SFC when I get home tonight.

In the meantime any other suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks again, MFDnSC!

6. jmrogers7

jmrogers7 Thread Starter

Could some kind of adware be causing this issue? I have Ad-Aware installed on the laptop but did not think to run it last night. I would not think that adware could cause this but I suppose that it is possible.

7. jmrogers7

jmrogers7 Thread Starter

Anyone else have any other ideas on this? I tried running Ad-Aware but it had no effect on this problem.

Thanks!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273422

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice