1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IE Won't Connect, Firefox works

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ljlemer, Jan 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ljlemer

ljlemer Thread Starter

Firefox is my default browser but I need IE for updates. IE acts like I'm offline. IE won't go online!

An additional problem, which is older, is that windows update doesn't recognize my computer as having a valid copy of XP. At least I think that is why they keep saying I need to download a new software for future downloads, yet everytime I try the download fails. I'm up to date to at least the beginning of december 2005, and I'm desperate to download the new critical update.
    Every attempt after Thanksgiving or so to download anything aborts. Now on top of this IE won't go online. Firefox is of no use for this.

2. xSoilworkeRx

xSoilworkeRx

Try this. Go to Add/Remove Programs. On the left hand side, there's an option for Add/Remove Windows Components. Click this. A screen will pull up. Make sure there are NO checkmarks beside anything other than Internet Explorer. You may have a checkmark beside MSN explorer right under that that you cannot uncheck. This is normal. Okay, then click next. Once you've done that, it will proceed to uninstall IE. Once that is done, restart the computer. If IE doesn't reinstall automatically, which it should, go back into the same place again, and put a checkmark by it, and click Next again. It will then reinstall IE, and you'll have to restart.

Once this is done, try IE again, and see if it works.

3. mongaloid

mongaloid

if what soilworker said does not work, try going into safe mode with networking and try it in there, if it works in there, it is going to be another program that uses ie like a web messenger messing with it..when was the last time it worked?

4. thingamajig

thingamajig Banned

First, you can get the new patch for the wmf-exploit in firefox from following this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS06-001.mspx

Let us know if SoilWorker's suggestion works (I'm curious ;) ).

Also, if can connect from safe mode, it's time to do a thorough scan with your favorite virus and anti-spyware software. If the issue is not resolved, consider posting your hijack log.

I only suggest this because It happens often that someone will approach me with a similar problem only to discover that their home page is down or that their update or home page has been hijacked. Have you tried something simple like typing a URL in your address field to see if you can reach other sites? I cleaned up malware recently that always redirected IE on startup.

Have you changed the way you connect to the Internet recently? In IE, click on the "tools", "options" and the "connections" tab. If you have a dial up, make sure it's there and selected. If you have DSL, CABLE, or a LAN, click on LAN settings and let IE auto-detect your connection.

Good luck! :)

5. ljlemer

ljlemer Thread Starter

You guys are all amazing, thanks. First I went to reboot and found that the windows updates had already been downloaded automatically and were installing themselves. I might not have been able to get into IE because I didn't know I needed to reboot. When IE came back up, however, dozens of windows came popping up at once like an open faucet and wouldn't stop.
    It was hard to gain control to shut it down. Later I reopened it and ran my up-to-date Trend Micro AV and it was clean. IE worked fine.

It seems all critical updates are being uploaded behind the scenes. My remaining problem is that when I use Windows Update manually I get a notice to upload the Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool, but every attempt fails. I can't get past that step.

Finally, in another post I mentioned my problem logging onto MSN Messenger with my new password, or even old one. How to I update my password info on it? Apparently no one has replied to that one.

6. thingamajig

thingamajig Banned

Are you confident that your windows installation is geniune? There are hacked versions that bypass the activation.

As for MSN messenger, click on "File" and "Sign In..." (this allows one to sign in with any account) and you should see a button with "forgot passwrd?" which when clicked will take you to a page which, I'm guessing, will send your password to the email account you use to sign on.

7. ljlemer

ljlemer Thread Starter

I discovered the solution myself. I had it set at "Remember my ID and Password". By unchecking that option I was freed to log on without interference. As for my Windows Updates, I have had them set on automatic updates, so I don't know why I was surprised.
    Probably because I couldn't download that Advantage thing. Looking at my download history I don't think I'm missing anything. Could a spyware remover have removed a cookie or whatever that Microsoft uses to identify my copy of XP as genuine?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/433133

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice