1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IE won't open/PC won't download files from internet

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by hrs2109, Oct 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hrs2109

hrs2109 Thread Starter

I have a Dell Inspiron E1505 with Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3. I had Internet Explorer 7, and for about a month I would get a "Error: Operation Aborted" every now and then and I would have to open a new window, so Friday morning I downloaded Internet Explorer 8 Beta to see if it would remove the problem. It didn't, so I tried Firefox, but I found both IE 8 and Firefox to be annoying, so I decided to remove them both and go back to IE 7, but this caused a whole different problem. I think that I might have done something wrong while removing the programs because now IE doesn't work at all. Now whenever I click on IE, the IE screen will flash for about a second and then disappear. The internet still works because I can still use AOL and AIM. I tried downloading IE again through AOL, but now my computer won't let me download ANYTHING - not even email attachments. Usually when I download something, I get a box telling me to click "Run" or click "cancel," now either nothing happens or a white box will come up but it won't go any further.

I've been looking online for ways to fix the problem but nothing has worked so far: most of the recommendations require that you be in IE and use one of the File/Tool/etc. tabs, but again, the window doesn't even open for me. I've done chkdsk, I've removed different add on tool bars through the Control Panel, and I've done System Restore, but none have worked. I have Norton 360 and I turned off the firewalls, but the same thing keeps happening. I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me out.

2. 12tipp12

12tipp12

Hi, now this is just a suggestion, if you have a downloaded copy of ie, and also i don't know how you uninstalled ie, if you go to add/remove programs and on the left hand side click on add/remove windows components and uncheck ie and then reinstall it IF you still have the copy you downloaded, worth a try.

Bill

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!