1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IE10 metro starts, but never loads site

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by kynian, Feb 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kynian

kynian Thread Starter

Hello, I'm trying to fix a friend's computer, the problem being that the IE10 metro app (start menu app) will open, looks like its working, but will never load any webpage. it just trys to load the homepage forever. It wont allow you to click any buttons or open any of the settings (About, internet options, etc). IE is set as the default browser, and there is no other browser installed. The weird part is, the desktop version works.

I tried turning IE10 off and then back on in the windows features list, but that did not change it at all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! This is a time sensetive matter, they're leaving for vacation and would like to bring the laptop with them, so I'm hoping this has popped up for someone before!

2. gurutech

gurutech

The Metro version of IE doesn't have Flash installed, so if the page you are trying to load is built on that, then it won't load.

3. kynian

kynian Thread Starter

Its the toshiba homepage and the microsoft homepage, both of which should work.

4. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor

Check if UAC is turned off

also check if it will load on an ip address please

select on address bar
    right click cut
    and enter ip address

5. kynian

kynian Thread Starter

UAC is set at default

it will not load an ip, I attempted to load one of googles IP addresses and it just tried to load it forever. It just does the loading animation with the dots.

6. Macboatmaster

will other applications open from the metro screen

7. kynian

kynian Thread Starter

I just tested that, and it looks like they wont. when you click on anything (I tried mail, people, calender, photos, etc) it just shows the main splash screen for a second and then goes back to the start screen. For instance if I open the people tab, it shows the orange people opening splash screen, and then it just goes back to the start screen. Then on the left under the open programs it does list people, but just shows the orange splash screen on the tab.

EDIT: so the only program that actually opens of all the ones I tried is IE from metro, but then that will not load any web page.

8. Macboatmaster

NOW that puts a different light on the issue
    1. Have you used a cleaning program other than those included - eg disk cleanup
    2. Have you used a registry cleaner DO NOT
    3. Have you been attempting to change permissions
    5. What AV please
    6. What Firewall please

9. kynian

kynian Thread Starter

As far as Im aware the only cleaning/registry thing that has been used was at staples when they brought it in for a tune up. Besides that I don't think anything has been done. The AV and firewall is kaspersky.

10. Macboatmaster

Please go Computer - C drive presumably - Windows
    do you have this folder please

Attached Files:

• au.jpg
      au.jpg
      File size:
      43 KB
      Views:
  11. kynian

kynian Thread Starter

yes I see that folder

12. Macboatmaster

Run a system file check please
    cmd prompt with admin rights
    on desktop press windows key
    type
    (I know there is no where to type)
    cmd
    the window will change before you get that far
    if not on applications on right click that
    cmd prompt will appear left
    run as admin
    type
    sfc /scannow

13. kynian

kynian Thread Starter

I ran that command and it came back saying that it did not find any integrity violations.

14. Macboatmaster

Is there please any notification of updates for applications top right of screen
    Try disabling the Firewall please

15. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

Note that Kaspersky Internet Security 2013 is compatible with Windows 8. Earlier version aren't and are known for preventing modern apps from loading (Avast is another). I just use the one that comes with Windows 8. I know that works.

You can also clear the store cache. Right-click on the bottom left corner and select Run. Type "WSReset.exe."

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088045