IE10, Win8, loses Login credentials for sites

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

zapp22

friends; I thought I knew my way around things-IE but I'm baffled :confused: at this: on a Win8 laptop [hp g7], I have IE10 set fairly loosely - not a lot of encumbrances, and in particular have checked and rechecked the settings for saving/remembering passwords to sites that require login, yet it is hit/miss on "remembering" those. some yes, some no. Chrome, on the other hand, is pretty consistent, it seems but the user insists on using IE.

googling about, I see others with this issue or something that smells like it, including posts on Microsoft helps forums and others, and no really good ideas/solutions. most of it is what you would expect: "do you have other security products?", "have you checked for malware"; "try reloading the operating system" [oh my...], "recheck settings" or "return IE to default"...

all help will be greatly appreciated

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Sounds like you have the browsing data is set to delete on exit. In the Desktop view, go into IE, then Tools > Internet Options and check to see if the option is selected.

zapp22

thank you for taking time to help.
its very strange: on the 'problem' system, IE10 and win 8, the only things checked there are "Temporary" files and "Retain my favorites" [the top item]. it still fails on some sites, and quite interestingly, I never got the popup at the bottom of the screen that says "do you want Internet Explorer to remember". Also, I have the site marked as Favorite.

on my 'lab' machine: thinkpad with windows 7 and IE10 also, I have the IE internet options more aggressively set, including "delete forms data" but not including "passwords", but I do get the popup to remember, and it will retain both login and password though the login field on that site is set to look for a correct first key [you type in the first character then it pops up the rest]. on that one, I do not have the sites set as favorites.

I have no idea what is pre-empting. pls give me a clue.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I would assume a software issue, but I haven't used Windows 8 solidly to confirm. The suggestion i had was the only one i can think of.

zapp22

I kept at it until a satisfactory conclusion. There are more moving parts there than I suspected, much of it on the other end, as to the security methods in play. One thing seemed to be absence of Java; sans Java a couple of the sites didn't authenticate in the same manner as with java after I loaded J7. I would have thought a flag would be thrown telling the user Java is required.
Still, quite a learning experience, as Chrome, Firefox, IE10, IE9 all behaved differently in regards to "remembering" the login credentials. FF was the easiest, but also the least protective; I guess their philosophy is "if you don't want login to be TOO easy, don't turn on "remember" "

I do note one oddity that to me seems to be a genuine bug:in IE10 there are actually two control 'panels' that are in play for user credentials options: one is in the History/settings section, the other is in the Content tab [oddly, there is NOTHING under 'security' about the subject whatsoever]. In the Content tab under "Autocomplete" one of the items is "Ask Me" re: remembering password. With that UNCHECKED, for one particular login the password would NOT be retained. When that tickbox is invoked, I would be challenged, and thereafter the Password is retained. That tickbox should not affect such behavior, but I have the proof....

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online