IE5.5 hangs

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

stevejmarshall

Hi
I'm running a 600MHz Athlon with WinME. When I click on the IE icon in the quick launch bar, IE fires up, states thats its downloading from my home page, but the blue progress indicator crawls across the bottom and nothing gets displayed.
I also have the katiesoft browser and it works fine - IE even successfully kicks off from links selected in katiesoft.
Can anyone give me any clues?
I've run scandisk, defrag, checked for viruses, deleted all the 0KB oem*.inf files and re-set up my network.

Well i'm sort of new at this but i just need to ask something. What is the homepage that you are trying to connect to?

Steve,
Hi I post something similiar today.

Here's a couple of suggestions and I hope you are not having the same problem I have.

1)www.microsoft.technet.com article q220902 is the first reference.

2)Empty temp internet files.
usually under Tools-Internet options-General-Delete files

3)remove objects download
usually under Tools-Internet options-General-settings-view objects.

right click on each object and uninstall. Hopefully these steps will solve your problems.

stevejmarshall

Thanks for the tip Kwaite, unfortuneately the first two weren't successful. Regarding your 3rd tip I wasn't sure how to unistall - the objects were either active x controls, infs or a .dll for Hotbar. I tried to delete them, but it didn't make any difference - the Hotbar .dll wouldn't delete as it was in use.
The only thing I can think of is a fresh install of Me to a clean folder - not a prospect to relish.

Steve
Have you tried a repair of 5.5? What service pack are you running
SP1 or SP2.
Dave

I used katiesoft a long while back. Have they upgraded the version of Internet Explorer it uses? I had problems because I was running IE 5.5 SP1 at the time and it replaced a few of my newer files with older ones. I would agree that you should upgrade your IE to restore any problem files. I know ME comes with 5.5 so you may not have the repair option. An upgrade would probably be a better choice. Upgrading often resolves issues which a repair doesn't.

Mosaic
Windows ME has the repair option but in many cases has a tough time with IE6.
Dave

Davey,
Thank you. Sorry. What I meant was that if you have never upgraded IE the repair tool is not available in Control Panel. Once an IE upgrade has been performed, repair is an option.

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q236/5/79.ASP

Is it possible there's a problem with the Shortcut itself? Sounds odd, but try deleting it and launching from the desktop icon. If that works. Create a new QL shortcut and try again.

Hi Stevejmarshall,You mentioned that you have Hotbar.That program is full of spyware.That could be causeing your problem.Download Ad-aware 5.6 and check for spyware.You can get it here

http://www.lavasoftusa.com

Let us know if this helps

stevejmarshall

Thanks for the tips guys, unfortuneately none worked.
I tried to install SP2, but the download hung 3 times, the last time having transferred 0bytes.
I found a cover disk with IE6 on and that started to install OK, but once progress reached 7%, it shot up to 67% and then appeared to carry on normally. Needless to say on re-boot, the 30 or so DOS messages advising me that it couldn't update from file %1 to file %2, didn't fill me with confidence. After 2 attempts with the same results I gave up.
After that I couldn't type in the body of my e-mails \9except Subject) or complete any boxes (such as this one) on any web page (except URL).
After psyching myself up over a few weeks, I decided on a format c: and a full re-install.
And it works...... for now!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online