1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IE5 Auto Complete? No thanks!

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Gram123, Oct 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gram123

Gram123 Thread Starter

Hi,

Just wondering if there is a way to stop the Auto Complete message from appearing when I enter my user name/ password at any web site: "Do you want AutoComplete to remember this for later" type of thing.
    It seems to be appearing an awful lot, but maybe it's just cos my brother clears the cookies etc regularly.

Thanks.

Gram

2. phrozenmayhem

phrozenmayhem

Go to Tools -> Internet Options -> Content -> Autocomplete and uncheck everything.

3. Gram123

Gram123 Thread Starter

Everything is / was already unchecked.

Gram

4. angel

angel

In the same place, click each button to clear forms and clear passwords. They may have been stored previously.

5. Signature

Signature

<font face="comic sans ms" color="#577ac6">I don't rightly remember, but isn't there a "Don't offer to remember any more passwords" check box beneath the "Do you want Windows to remember this password, so that you don't have to type it again the next time you visit this page?" message, in the AutoComplete box that pops up on you?</font>

6. Dark Star

Dark Star

Autocomplete creates a drop-down menu of choices, based on previously entered material.
    For instance, after typing a couple of letters of your first name, it will automatically offer your complete name in the drop-down box.
    Is this what is happening?
    There are three ways of selecting the information you want. You can:

Use the "down arrow" key to highlight one of the fields and press "return"
    or "tab" down
    or Double-click on the desired option in the dropdown.

I don't know I may be way off track here, but it is just my 2 cents worth ;)

DS

7. Gram123

Gram123 Thread Starter

Angel - I've done as you said

Signature - No, there is no "stop asking" check box

DarkStar - No, that's not quite what is happening, because I always click "No" or kill the window, ergo I don't get any drop-down lists to choose from

Next time I get an auto-complete window, I'll make a note of exactly what it says and looks like.

Am I right in thinking that it only keeps coming up, because my brother clears files/history/documents list etc?
    Thinking about that, it's only deleting files and shortcuts, not changing options, so maybe I'm off-track.

Gram

8. Gram123

Gram123 Thread Starter

Okay, it's just popped up again when I went to do a search for threads in which my username appears.
    The history etc has not been cleared since it last appeared, so it's obviously not that.

It says:

AutoComplete

> AutoComplete remembers entries in Web Forms like the one
    > you just typed. In the future it can check your previous entries
    > and list suggestions as you type.
    > Would you like to turn AutoComplete On?

> Yes / No / More Info

So, I clicked More Info. It told me I can adjust settings by doing what you guys advised me to do earlier, but didn't mention "stopping the AutoComplete window from appearing".

Gram

9. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

Go to tools>internet options>advanced tab>scroll down and uncheck everything for autocomplete.

10. Gram123

Gram123 Thread Starter

DoyceJ -

"Use inline AutoComplete for Web Addresses" is already unchecked.

The only other mentioning AC is "Use inline AutoComplete in Windows Explorer", which is checked.

I can't see any other AC options. The thing is, I'm not concerned about the inline AC, that can remain on for all I care, it's the usernames and passwords I don't want it to complete (or keep offering to complete).

Thanks anyway.

Gram

11. Shamrock

Shamrock

Just below the 'yes/no/more info' line does it give you the option to check a box that says 'don't ask(or show) me this again? If so, seems like you could check that box and click on the no also.

12. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

In the same place, scroll down further and uncheck enable profile assistant.

13. Gram123

Gram123 Thread Starter

Shamrock - no, there is no such option.

DoyceJ - I've done as you said and when I logged in here, it didn't ask me if I wanted AC on, so it may have worked.
    I'll post back if it pops up again.
    Thanks for your help!

And thanks to everyone else who gave it a go!

Gram

14. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

No problem. Hope thats it as Im all out of options and will have to start searching.

15. Dark Star

Dark Star

Gram,

It sure sounds like all is well once again, you didn't really think we we were just going to give you the answer without walking you around the block first did you? :D

DS

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/55437

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice