1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IE6 Advanced Privacy Settings

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by vespaguy, Jun 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vespaguy

vespaguy Thread Starter

Does anyone know of a Freeware program that changes the "Advance Privacy Settings" on IE? Right now you have to do the following to allow just "session cookies":
    1- Tools
    2- Internet Options
    3- Privacy
    4- Advanced
    5- Check- "Override automatic cookie handling
    6- Check Block for "First Party Cookies"
    7- Check Block for "Third Party Cookies"
    8- Check "always allow session cookies"

I find I need only session cookies on most of the sites I frequent (like this one). Wish there was a program that would remember your preferred settings and with a push of a button change them to pre-set alternate settings.

2. golferbob

golferbob

3. vespaguy

vespaguy Thread Starter

Thanks Golfer Bob....

Pitstop does not do it. There has got to be a program that will simply turn off/on cookies with one command instead of 8 for IE6 and I can't find it!

VespaGuy

4. Jtoast

Jtoast

I think that Maxthon has that feature but its been awhile since I used it so I am not positive.

5. vespaguy

vespaguy Thread Starter

Thanks Jtoast. I will take a look at Maxthon. What I really need is something for Internet Explorer. I really think it does not exist.

Vespa Guy

6. TRS-80 vet

TRS-80 vet Account Closed

My session cookies ain't checked - what the hail they for, anyway?

7. vespaguy

vespaguy Thread Starter

Session Cookies do not store in your computer but are used to identify the user only.

8. TRS-80 vet

here's TO ya', ves!

9. kdd9

kdd9

Vesapguy, here is some info that may be helpful to you:

http://surfthenetsafely.com/surfsafely5.htm (This is some general data on cookies.)

There is a link at the top of that page that takes you to:

http://surfthenetsafely.com/slides/ieconfigureslide7.htm (where you will get some info specific to setting IE cookies)

And from the same site:

http://surfthenetsafely.com/ieseczone6.htm (for some data on other IE security settings.)

http://ralphcaddell.com/pchelp/spyware.htm (mentions some useful programs including Spywareblaster from www.javacoolsoftware.com.

Spywareblaster will automatically configure your IE (and firefox) security settings for you to lessen the risk of malware. It will also warn you automatically if these settings become changed and then reconfigure them for you again if you wish. (See this thread: http://forums.techguy.org/t367095&highlight=Spywareblaster+me.html) I have been using Spywareblaster for some time and it has worked VERY well. I wouldn't be without it now. Anyway, I hope this helps some.

kdd9

10. vespaguy

vespaguy Thread Starter

Thanks Kdd9!

I have been fighting with cookies for years now. I find using the Privacy "high" setting does not always work. The truth is... unless you override "automatic handling" and set all settings to "BLOCK".. you are going to get spy type cookies..it's inevitable! Actually the best way to prevent bad cookies from entering your computer is to do the following: (but you need to know what your good cookies are)

Privacy
    Check: Override automatic cookie handling
    Check: "Prompt" for 1st party handling
    Check: "Block" for 3rd party handling
    Check: always alow session cookies

This way the user can select what cookies he /she wants. But the above method can be "buggy".

I prefer not leaving a cookie trail as I go surfing.

I await your opinion....and Thanks again!

Vespa Guy

11. TRS-80 vet

Hey Vespa... If you DON'T allow session cookies, it just takes a few more moments for the page to load. Right?

12. vespaguy

vespaguy Thread Starter

Not true...it helps keep your identity secure. I hate cookies!

Vespa Guy

13. junker39

junker39

Have you tried Firefox? There's a few options for allowing and not allowing cookies. In under Tools/Options/Privacy.

14. Deke40

Deke40

I am not much for doing something with a downloaded program when I can do it manually but Cookies Manger is one of my exceptions.

Attached Files:

15. junker39

junker39

I was speaking of the "other" browser, that is more secure and somewhat more customizable(?) than IE.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/371896

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice