1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IE6 and OE6 problems...OE won't open!

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by janragan, Oct 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. janragan

janragan Thread Starter

Hi,
    This is a long one...I'll do my best to keep it brief!
    Began having problems with OE yesterday and it got worse tonight. When I tried to "send" email the send button would hang which would hang up everything. Would have to control/alt/delete to bring up task manager. Would then close task manager which would free up system and spell checker would pop up...slow but it did work and email would finally send. Then it got to the point that the screen would go blue when I tried to close task manager, there would be partial windows/boxes but OE would eventually come back and could then send email.
    Called ISP helpdesk...big mistake I guess! Told me to try the "fix" option in add/remove which did no good. Told me to delete IE6-sp1 and reinstall from a CD they had sent previously. Did that. OE would not open, called them back. Uninstalled/reinstalled again and this time did critical updates, still no OE. When I click to open I get the following two errors: 1) Outlook Express could not be started. The application was unable to open the Outlook Express message store. Your computer may be out of memory or your disk is full. Contact Microsoft Support for further assistance. ( )x80040154, 2 ) and when you click OK there this one pops up: Outlook Express could not be started because MSOE.DLL could not be initialized. Outlook Express may not be installed correctly.
    So, checked this site and didn't find anything so checked Microsoft support and it says that there may be a conflict between 2 versions of IE. I have uninstalled IE6 ...again...and am running IE5.0.
    The MS support says "Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 updates the Internet Explorer 6 core technologies in Windows® XP Home Edition and Windows XP Professional. Internet Explorer 6 SP1 provides a private, reliable, and flexible browsing experience and the freedom to experience the best of the Internet for users of Windows XP, Windows Millennium Edition (Windows Me), Windows 2000.... "
    If I have 5.0 and not 6.0 will the 6.0-sp1 download cause a conflict with IE5.0? Seems I no longer have "IE6 core technologies"! Is this where my problem is coming from? Should I look for the old IE6 & download that THEN download sp1?
    I really NEED my email files and my email! I do have a Windows disk for win2K pro which is my OS. The system has an 80 gig HD and 1024 megs of memory so I don't think there is any problem with full disks, etc. I know absolutely NOTHING about the system registry or even how to back it up if i DID know what to do... I need some serious help ... I can't even check to see if a reply has been posted so will keep checking back.
    Thanks,
    Jan

2. scmazter

scmazter

Ahhhhh u did all this in 24h? i'm impressed.
    Ok, from what you said it seems to me like to could only be a virus. Do you have any anti virus programs or firewalls?
    Run housecall , if it turns up with a virus, your anti virus software is doing a mighty sloppy job, or u arent updating it. If you do have a virus (which I think is most probably) then trend micro will also have instuctions on how to remove it in it's virus encycopedia.
    If it ISN'T a virus, then jesus crist I really havent got a clue what it could be. Anything you do lately that might have caused this? Any new software? Did u update windows?

3. Davey7549

Davey7549

Janragan
    It sounds like you may have a damaged or corrupt DBX file. Here is a link http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/problems/errors.htm that will help you through fixing the problem. Look at "Damaged folders DBX" section and see if that is what is occurring on your system. Also pay attention to the "Read the Consequences" link.

Let us know if that helps you.

Dave

4. janragan

janragan Thread Starter

Hi,
    I have AVG running on my computer and it is current. I did run housecalls and it found 0 files infected so chances are it is not a virus in the true sense of the form. I received an email from someone with an eBay return asking me to click a link and update my personal info... did no such thing :) Did send this to a girlfrien in CA that also sells on eBay to see if she had received the same email, forwarded it to the appropriate place at eBay and promptly deleted it. Funy thing, the friend is having the same type problems sending email as I was having except that her system miracously heals itself for hours and then messes up again??? Of course...I can't even open my outlook! Have been on the phone with local ISP helpdesk again...they suggest back-up and reload OS. The tech support where I bought this system is suggesting the same. We tried to do a repair from my OS disk and the CD drive would stop reading the disk about half way through loading files so no help there. Seems problem can be one of several things
    1) the OS disk has been damaged - looks fine and has only been used one time so not likely - still possible.
    2) Something is amiss with the drive itself - 3 months old - still possible.
    3) Something on the OS won't let the drive read the cd
    4) The email may have contained malicious content that damaged files
    Checking the insideoe link above the problem seems to be bad/corrupted HKCU\Identities key - the fix involves going into the registry and I don't know enough about that to attempt it. Reading the directions only partly makes any sense to me so that is an option, just NOT a good one. I still need help! Hate to wipe out and start over but the possibility is growing ever more stronger that I will have to.
    THX,
    Jan

5. Davey7549

Davey7549

Janragan
    The link and suggested Damaged Folders.dbx I gave you does not require registry work. Where at the InsideOE website did you navigate to that required registry work in the identities key?

Also Reinstalling the OS hopefully didn't cause us any further problems because it aborted but we shall see.

Dave

PS: Your original post mentioned Outlook express this post you said "I can't even open my outlook." Was that just a typo?

6. janragan

janragan Thread Starter

Hi Dave,
    Yes, I was referring to my Outlook Express. When I click the link and go to the InsideOE website on the left column are options:

Overview
    Error Messages
    Known Bugs
    Performance Issues.

Choose Performance Issues and it will give you more options:

OE very slow when starting, but everything else normal
    OE very slow when starting, and Internet Explorer forms slow
    OE very slow when working in a news account
    OE slow to open, slow to switch mail folders, slow in everything
    OE gradually slows down
    OE won't even start

Choose OE won't even start. At the bottom of the paragraph that addresses OE won't even start is the following:
    "More information, including detailed instructions, can be found in the MS Knowledge Base article Cannot Start Outlook Express ."

That is where I get confused (well ... more confused:eek:) and it gives a warning about changing the registry. O.K... I have just read the page AGAIN and noted one important thing that I missed before. Here it is: "When you upgrade Outlook Express 5.0 to Outlook Express 5.01 or later, and then attempt to start Outlook Express from either the desktop icon or from Internet Explorer, Outlook Express does not start, and you do not receive an error message." It states "and you do NOT receive an error message" and I do receive two different ones.
    Back to InsideOE website... Damaged Folders.dbx errors are not what is happening. Reading just above that under:
    Read-only *.dbx files errors I get both of the following messages -
    but the first one differs a little. The site says
    "Outlook Express could not be started. It may not be installed correctly. Make sure that your disk is not full or that you are not out of memory. Contact Microsoft support for further assistance. (0x800c012e)"
    Here is where mine differs... Outlook Express could not be started. The application was UNABLE TO OPEN THE OUTLOOK EXPRESS MESSAGE STORE. Your computer may be out of memory or your disk is full. Contact Microsoft Support for further assistance. The number is (0x80040154, 2) The message below is exactly the same.

Outlook Express could not be started because Msoe.dll could not be initialized. Outlook Express may not be installed correctly.

It goes on to say:
    These errors can all occur if one or more *.dbx files in the current store folder are set as Read-only. Close OE and open the store folder in Windows Explorer. Select all files, then right-click on any one and select Properties. Uncheck the box for "Read only", leaving only the "archive" bit checked.

I can't for the life of me find the "store" folder in Windows Explorer. That looks like a simple fix I could try if I could just find the darn thing!
    We didn't actually reinstall the OS...I don't think...just attempted to do a repair from my OS disk and the disk drive would not read it all the way through. I have gone to Microsoft and downloaded IE6 sp1 from their site...no help. I thought maybe the ISP disk might have a corrupt file... I really don't know what to try next.
    Thanks so much for your help!
    Jan

7. Davey7549

Davey7549

Janragan
    The easiest way to locate the stores is do a search for the .dbx files themselves. Go to start\search-find and type in *.dbx then hit enter. Once you find the laundry list of dbx folders then use the procedure.

Dave

8. janragan

janragan Thread Starter

Dave,
    Found the files... none are marked as "read only". Decided to let system compact them ...somewhere I read that if you have a large store OE may just quit working. I probably had 30+ unstored messages in the inbox. plus 100 in the folders I had created. The system opened a box and began compacting the messages then an error box popped up saying that OE had called an error and a log file was being created. Guess that would be DrWatson? Is there anything I can copy to you like the DrWatson logs, hiJack this log, AdAware logs that would help with this?
    Thanks,
    Jan

9. Davey7549

Davey7549

Jan
    The file OE created may be the pstore.log file. Not sure since you are running W2k Pro.
    If that is the case and the Pstores.log does exist then several things could be going on here.

1) Corrupt message in the stores
    2) Corrupt program or dll
    3) Mismatched program files

Here is a MSKB article to that affect......
    http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...port/kb/articles/q271/5/10.asp&NoWebContent=1

Also it appears you will have to work through the OE won't even start section of InsideOE to fix this.
    http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/problems/performance.htm#nostart

Dave

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170647

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice