1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IE6 Browser Not Being Recognized on particular website

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Dlenoxx, Jul 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dlenoxx

Dlenoxx Thread Starter

Hey Tech Guys,

I'm doing some work on someone's computer (It's remote, so it may take me a bit to get some needed info), but my problem is this. Using XP, and ME, the IE6 browser works fine on this particular website. Well, on 98 the website says that they are not using Internet Explorer and that it is the required browser. I was just curious if anyone was aware of any differences between the 98 version of IE6, and the ME/XP versions.

PS: I'll try to get the service pack number and see if it is 98SE or just 98 as soon as I can- to my understanding, service pack 4 released a major IE6 update.

Hope to hear back from ya!

2. TOGG

TOGG

When I had 98 it had 6 SP1 (although I used Opera!), and it's my understanding that SP2 was never made available for, or doesn't work with, 98 and ME. Something to do with the difference between FAT32 and NTFS perhaps?

I wonder if that stubborn site would work with Firefox or Opera because I think they can both be set to 'emulate' IE?. Whatever, unless they're hopelessly in love with it, your user doesn't need to keep IE active, but I expect you've told them that already.

EDIT: Ooops! just re-read your post. If the site works OK with ME my theory falls flat on its face!

3. Dlenoxx

Dlenoxx Thread Starter

Well, I believe the website requires IE (I use Firefox and Camino when needed), and both display the same message. When I use my IE browser (I've got XP, IE7) it loads fine- so that's why I'm a tad confused. Is it possible that maybe something got mixed up in the way that could have tagged IE6 as, well, not IE? I've told them they may be just dead in the water, with no real way for me to get around them- but the minimum requirements from the developers state that IE6 is the lowest version allowed. I'm going to try and remote access later on this evening- I was just hoping someone's heard of an issue like this.

If I come up with a resolution, I'll post it for future notes.

4. horsecharles

horsecharles

Never heard...it must be some system problem-- I'd repair or reinstall IE6. Even better, PowerPack5 will update everything and overinstall any damaged system files: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=100090

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/592465

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice