1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IE6 link problems

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by plejon, Jan 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. plejon

plejon Thread Starter

I'm having problems opening some links on one of my pc's. The problem occurs on multiple sites, but I haven't been able to find the root cause.

Example: site http://www.clubzone.be. When I open this site, the movie in the separate window does not start. Instead, I see an empty window (just the borders, "transparent" background, see attached error.jpg) The rest of the site works fine. Other pc's play the video fine.

If I open a new window and go directly to the html page that starts the video, I don't have a problem. I enter http://www.clubzone.be/video/clubzonevideo.html in a new IE window, and the video displays as expected. I have noticed the same phenomenon on other sites too. Clicking on a link doesn't work. Right clicking the same link, choosing "copy shortcut" and pasting the shortcut in a new IE window does work.

Attached Files:

2. Deke40

Deke40

Look in Tools\Internet Options\Advanced\Mutimedia\be sure "Play vidieos in Web Pages" is checked.

3. plejon

plejon Thread Starter

I verified, and Tools\Internet Options\Advanced\Mutimedia\be sure "Play vidieos in Web Pages" was already checked on my pc.

So no luck, problem persists

4. AbvAvgUser

AbvAvgUser

Have you tried to repair the IE installation? Or have you tried to unisntall and re-install it?

Ususally, this solves all IE related problems.

5. plejon

plejon Thread Starter

Uninstall/reinstall was my first reaction. I'm running Xp, went to add/remove windows component. For IE, there is an entry "Adds or removes access to IE from the start menu and desktop"

I suppose this just deletes the shortcuts, so that won't help me much.

I've done some further digging and the problem seems to be related to the opening of a new window, not to playing video.

I'm not running a pop-up killer or similar software, but IE seems to be unable to open a new browser window and display something in that window. Some setting that blocks IE/javascript from opening new browser windows ?

6. Del

Del

Trouble opening new pages in win xp
    Go to Start > Run and type in the following:
    regsvr32 /i urlmon.dll
    click ok.

This corrects some issues with opening web pages in new windows.

7. plejon

plejon Thread Starter

Tried regsvr32 /i urlmon.dll , no improvement.

The problem really lies in the javascript window.open function. I created a small HTML page that does nothing except window.open, and that recreates the problem perfectly. (see attach)

Attached Files:

• test.txt
      File size:
      470 bytes
      Views:
  8. imweasel

imweasel

Try sfc /scannow.

IE is a pain in the butt in xp to get working correctly nowadays....

9. Del

Del

How do I repair Internet Explorer in Windows® XP?
    Revised - 03/03/2002

The ability to Repair Internet Explorer does not exist in the version that ships with Windows XP. This feature only becomes available after you upgrade to a newer version. This is normal and has been this way since Windows 98 and IE4.

However, you can reinstall IE in Windows XP by clicking Start, Run and entering the following command:

rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 %windir%\Inf\ie.inf

You will need to have your XP CD available.

Some people have problems with the command line above. A small VB Script that will execute the command for you can be downloaded here. Save the file to your hard drive and double click it to run IE Setup.

How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP (Q318378)
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q318378

10. plejon

plejon Thread Starter

The instructions in article Q318378 solved the problem.

Thanks Del and other for your help.

11. Del

Del

Glad we were able to help..
    Have a great one.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114455

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice