IE6 not able to view websites or do fresh install

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

PROJECT

I am using windows xp and have IE6. I get the cannot find server error whenever I try and view a web page. Also when I try to update Norton with a Live update it says cant connect to server but I am able to log into MSN Messenger. When I try to reinstall IE6 it gives me an error saying cant get to internet, may have wrong proxy settings when it is trying to download the files. I have cable internet with no password or username needed, anyone know what the solution could be? Is there any way to download the full IE6 and burn to a cd then install on another computer?

Do a windows search for ie.inf and when found right click it and select install. You mat need your xp cdrom for this and set the search for hidden files and folders as well. This will reinstall internet explorer 6.

PROJECT

THANKS I TRIED THAT BUT DIDNT WORK, I EVEN TRIED UNINSTALLING AND REINSTALLING ALL THE NETWORK SETTINGS BUT NO GO

Check the internet settings. Make sure you aren't using a proxy..

Also you could delete the entire connection in "network connections" then open internet explorer and click on connections/ setup tab and setup a total new connection.

PROJECT

Did it all, I dont know what the hell is up, do you think a repair of xp would help, but the thing is msn messenger can get out to the internet but not norton update?

A repair should take care of it as well as system restore may work.

PROJECT

if i do a repair or restore i wont lose files will i, i just may have to reinstall some programs

It does get tricky. You can attempt to bypass the recovery console and attempt to repair the installation if it gives the option to. sometimes it doesn't give it so pay close attention to the following link and do not format or you will deffinitly loose everything. If all goes well you will only have to install microsoft office and updates.

Follow this to the letter.

PROJECT

I ran spybot and low and behold right after i could view every page in IE 6

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online