IE6 problem - or idiot user?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Jrob

Hello

I’m not sure if I have a problem or not.
I recently upgraded to IE6 and have had problems I never had with IE5.5. I continually have to refresh because the web address I’m accessing takes ages to load; I’m presented with Page not available; page cannot be displayed; images such as Tech Guy’s new post markers etc., being blank; the red-X square instead of pictures; and others.

I cleared all temporary internet files and cookies, ran Adaware; ran virus checker; thorough scandisk, defragged, then re-installed IE6. But the problem remained. I searched for answers but couldn’t find any - apart from vague hints that it could be a RAM problem.

Then I ran Reg Spanner. When I ran System File Checker (checks the integrity of system files), I was given error screens about files being corrupted. I was given 3 options: 1. Update Verification Information; 2. Restore File From Installation Disk; 3. Ignore.

Now I understand the Ignore bit. I ignored all the error screens to be safe. (Please see attachment.) But I cannot perform number 2, because Windows was pre-installed on my computer. Now... Number 1. The error window told me to check this option “if I knew that the file had been updated.” Could my re-installation of IE6 be the updates in question?

If that is the case, what could have been the problem with IE6 before the update?

Kind Regards

jrob

Attachments

I had problems from the time I downloaded IE 6...look under stumped...I downloaded and reinstalled IE 5.5...all my problems stopped..

Jrob

I think I need lessons in how to send text attachments!!

jrob

Jrob

Hello Rocky1

That was an initial thought I had, but I decided I'd try to find out whether I had a specific problem or not.

However, I think I'll follow my first thoughts and your advice. I'll let you know if my problems have disappeared.

Kind Regards

jrob

;) I thought I had some major problems...then I said, "my problems didn't start until I installed IE 6."...I done everything you did....after reinstalling IE 5.5, my problems disappeared

jrob,

Just curious here, what did you hope to gain when you installed IE6.0?

I really wish I had the answers to the problem you've encountered, but I don't.
Have you tried like a Search on the topic yet?
You might try that here and maybe elswhere too, I am sure that a data base of IE6.0 problems is building fast.

DS

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online