1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IE6 problem....

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by darwin1971, Jan 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darwin1971

darwin1971 Thread Starter

Hi folks. Newbie here, please be gentle=)

My problem is that I can't have more than 1 window open at a time, or they lock up. This started up about a week ago - prior to that, I could have 15 webpages open and not miss a beat. =/

All my other programs seem to be working fine, (and with each other, including one widow to surf in) but if I open up a second one, im done after about 5 seconds.

I have to crtl alt del, get the program is not responding message, end it, and all my IE windows close out. I surfed around Microsofts help pages, saw a few pop up lock up fixes, but most didnt seem relevant to me. I've run all the basic system tools, and the IE repair tool, but I'm still having the problem. The only thing I've done recently (that I can remember) is uninstall 2 rather large games; thinking maybe I lost an important file somewhere, I also tried re-installing Win98, but that hasnt helped either.

Thanks in advance!

System info I can think of:
    P3 500
    256 mb ram
    Win98 second edition

*edit system info*

2. Balzac

Balzac Guest

3. darwin1971

darwin1971 Thread Starter

Thanks Balzac!

Sure enough, one of the solutions in that link cured my problem.

Turns out it was Gator. I thought I had deleted it, but it must have been running while I ran Ad-aware, as it would not remove two Gator .dll files. I figured that wasn't a big problem, as the rest was gone, but when I double checked, GMT would be running when I had to close out my windows, and another scan by Ad-aware (after I made sure Gator wasn't running) removed the remaining files, and I haven't had the problem since.

Cheers! ~

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113890

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice