1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IE6 problem

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by JFresh, Jan 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JFresh

JFresh Thread Starter

Hi,

I'm having an issue with I.E. 6 as follows:

The first time after booting the PC, and a few minutes into using IE, I get the "Microsoft has encountered a problem" error message. I checked in Event Viewer, and event viewer lists the following DLL as the cause: WMPLOC.DLL, as well as a number: 0x00078fc0

Checking online, I wasn't able to find anything related to this particular case. It seems to mainly be a problem for WMP, which makes sense given the file name.

The homepage I have it pointed to (and I can't change this mind you as this is computer is used by the college) is www.wccnet.edu

Going to a different website does not seem to affect this.

I realize that overall it's a minor concern because of it only appearing once after each boot, but it's something that our staff has been complaining about: "When I click on the button, the internet shuts down!" is one of my personal favorite complaints from a user regarding this issue.

I'd really appreciate any help, or any direction on where to go with this.

Thanks!

JFresh

2. techy689

techy689

go to microsoft.com and download all high-priority, optional, and harware updates... ie7 should be included in this. ie7 is a lot securer than ie6 and that's why i recommend the update.

3. slurpee55

slurpee55

I agree about ie7, although I have read of some people having problems with it. However, to fix your problem, try copying wmploc.dll from the service pack files (probably under C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386 or C:\i396) to C:\Windows\System32.

4. JFresh

JFresh Thread Starter

Thanks for the help =). I'm going to try moving the wmploc.dll file to the System32 folder assuming it isn't there already. While I have considered moving to IE7, it's something I'd prefer to avoid at this point given the lack of PC savvy of our users and also the fact that it would force, for a time, our users to switch between 6 and 7 depending on which classroom they're in.

Thanks you both for your help! I really appreciate it. I'll let you know how moving that file goes.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537746

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice