1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IE6 Problems Please Help!!!

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by weskeng, Jan 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. weskeng

weskeng Thread Starter

I am running Windows XP Pro and IE 6 with all the newest service packs and updates. A few days ago IE6 stopped loading pop up windows. Anytime a link or page opens up another window the new window will hang there but nothing will load up. If I hit stop and reload some of the windows will but others won't get to the point where I can hit stop. It is very frustrating. I have already checked my settings and used spybot to kick out all the spyware to no avail. If anyone has any ideas please help.

I also cannot download any windows updates on the automatic update page on the windows website. I go through the agreement and everything to the actual download but nothing happens.

I have downloaded netscape and it works fine, but I am used to and like IE6 better. Please Please help.

2. AbvAvgUser

AbvAvgUser

Have you tried repair? Go to Add/Remove Programs, select IE and click on Remove. It will throw up 3 options, one of them will be Repair.

3. rixter

rixter

I'm having the same problem, (XP Home, IE6) but the thing is that when I go into add/rev programs, IE is not listed. How can i get to IE repair tool?

4. weskeng

weskeng Thread Starter

Yeah their no uninstall option if the explorer came with the computer (at least that is my understanding). So that still leaves me with the same problem.

5. weskeng

weskeng Thread Starter

6. Del

Del

If you go to Start > Run and type in "sfc /scannow" without the quotes, it's supposed to do the same as the repair feature.
    You may be asked to insert your Win XP C.D.

7. AbvAvgUser

AbvAvgUser

Wow!! I think the link that weskeng provided hits the bull's eye!!

8. Del

Del

Yup, that's the same thing I was telling you to try, so the sfc /scannow worked, great..
    That was a great call by weskeng..

9. weskeng

weskeng Thread Starter

I was actually the one with the original problem. I am not 100% sure it worked yet. I am getting my internet hooked up again today (stupid cox, but that is a different story) so I will be able to see if ie is back to normal. I will keep youupdated, i might need some more help.

Wes

10. weskeng

weskeng Thread Starter

I just followed the instructions above (the windows link) and did a reinstall of xp and the problem I had was fixed. IE6 is working fine again. THanks for everyones help.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113004

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice