1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IE6, tried to re-install, one problem with ntdll.dll

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Nodaicrag, Sep 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nodaicrag

Nodaicrag Thread Starter

Hello there, I am running Windows XP. I always use Internet Explorer 6 for my web browsing. It continually (at least once a day) quits with some message about "Internet explorer has encountered a problem, sorry for the inconvenience." Reading the error message, one of the few has something related to ntdll.dll.

Looking on Microsoft's website, they offered two suggestions to re-install IE6 on windows XP:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;318378
    Following their instructions for method 2, it doesn't work because I get a message during installation that "this not a XP certified, installation can't continue."

My internet explorer still works, but I'd like to start fresh and get rid of, and understand why it continually quits. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Nod

2. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

What video card do you have and what driver version?
    Have you installed SP1a?

3. Nodaicrag

Nodaicrag Thread Starter

Thanks for replying Shadow. I have installed SP1a (this I'm sure of because on windows update, it doesn't come up as an option after my computer is scanned). I have a Dell Inspiron 2650. It's a generic Inspiron 2650 Nvidia version 4.4.2.5 dated 5/30/2003. Is ther any other info I can provide? THanks.

4. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

I would try the following.

Reinstall sp1a a few more times. (Download the whole setup file so you don't have to keep downloading the update)

Uninstall the nvidia drivers that are already installed and install the newest ones from nvidia.com.

If that doesn't work, uninstall the nvidia drivers again and install the nvidia driver update from windowsupdate.

sp1a doesn't always completely install the first time.

Have you always had the problem or has it just recently started? What was the last thing you installed?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165268

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice