1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IE6 versus IE5.5 dial-up differences

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by johnni, Aug 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnni

johnni Thread Starter

My main PC (this one) uses Win ME, IE/OE 5.5. My new laptop has Win XP Home and IE/OE 6.
    Both are connected to the internet (on dial-up) with the same ISP, but I am noticing differences.

1. The Win ME has a connection shortcut on the desktop (not sure how I got that) which brings up a connection box, or, more ususally, when I load-up my Kerio firewall the box comes up automatically. This box shows the following:

Connect to: showing the name of the ISP
    User Name: My name
    Password asterisks
    Save password box (ticked)
    Phone number of ISP (important, as I can check it is the right one)
    Dialing from: New Location

I like to see this box before connecting but I don't have it on the laptop; in fact the only way I have found to dial-up is to go to Outlook Express which offers to connect me, but without that Connect to box. I really want to see the connection box. (On the laptop I am using only the Windows firewall which is always on).

On the Win ME machine, while I am online, there is a small task bar icon showing two blue monitors. I can right click this to check how long I have been online and to disconnnect.
    On the laptop there is no task bar online icon and I have found NO WAY to disconnect other than to pull out the modem cable!

There must be ways to change the laptop's features; can anyone help, please?

johnni

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489492

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice