IE6 & Win98 problem & Resolve

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

compilerxp

About a month ago, someone posted that they wanted to remove IE6.0 from their Windows98 computer. For what I could tell, - she wasn't having any problems with IE6. But there wasn't a way to un-install it.

On my Win98se computer, my IE6.0 started acting up - after using it without any problems for about a month.

IE6.0 became crash city. Particular with POP-UPSTOPPER 2.6 (www.panicware.com), but it would also crash without pop-up stopper. The problem seems to deal with opening and sometimes using webpages with JAVA and or Flash. A good example of this is to go to www.tvguide.com , go to local listing and try to read about a TV program from a schedule. (A small window pop-up). The result would be IE crashing, a little window stating that IE is dead and if I want to send M$ a report (Not recommended as it includes way to much info than M$ needs).

Thus, when having 3~8 web browsers open - they all close down. Very un-productive.

I tried REPAIRING it , re-installing it. Since IE 6 can't be removed because M$ says its "Part of the Operating system" - I downloaded the free program called IEradicator. It's supposed to remove 99% of IE from your system (Except WindowsXP & W2000sr2).

I did a clean re-install of IE6 and the problem was still there. My thinking is that in an upgrade/fix patch from M$ has a bug. Maybe on purpose or accident as one of my friends said "get WindowsXP, then IE won't have problems" - Exchanging 1 small problem for the nightmare of XP is not a solution.

Well, I do like the features of IE6 on my machine (the settings, the tool-bar lock) - I must have a stable browser to do work with. So I set off to install IE5.5 on my system. To my dismay, my CDR with IE5.5 is lost... and worse, there is NO information or way to DOWNLOAD IE5.5 from Microsoft! You can attempt to do a search of the M$ website - nothing. Yep, this is what you call "LACK OF SUPPORT". Considering how often M$ makes new bugs in new products - M$ has made it very difficult to back-track to a slightly older product.

For more than 2 weeks I was stuck with IE6. Then luck would have it I was working on a client's PC which had IE5.5 on it, and I emailed the IE5setup file (about 500k) to myself.

The IE5.5 setup file can contact the M$ servers to Download the correct files. Needless to say, I downloaded everything for IE5.5.

After installing IE5.5, I checked the tvguide site and no more crashes. it's been 3 days now, no a single IE shut-down. With IE 6.0, the crash could happen 1~6 times an hour - with pop-upstopper turned off.

But something quite interesting happned. IEradicator isn't 100% perfect. Some light aspects of IE6 remained. I have the CORE engine of IE 5.5 with the FEATURE SET of IE 6.0 on my computer!!

So, I'm quite happy for now. :)

You can download IEradicator at: http:\\www.98lite.net

I highly recommend AD-Aware which removes SPYWARE from your Windows computer (note: Programs like Kazaa may refuse to run after killing spyware). Spyware are programs that logs your computer and internet use and sends it to a home base. Don't think it can remove those built-into WindowsXP. Spyware can cause problems on your machine, increase boot time and shut down time.

Download from: www.lavasoft.de

Both programs are free.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online