1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IE7 Acting Very Annoying

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by bkzballa, Jan 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bkzballa

bkzballa Thread Starter

Every time I click the mouse scroll button to open a new tab it keeps opening 2 or 3, sometimes 4 of the same tabs & it gets really annoying. Anyone else have this problem? It has only started like 2 weeks ago.

2. bkzballa

bkzballa Thread Starter

3. TOYMAN1952

TOYMAN1952

What happens if you open a new tab other ways like control click the link or right click from the context menu? Trying to eliminate the possibility the mouse button being defective.

4. bkzballa

bkzballa Thread Starter

It opens regularly. But I play plenty games that use the mouse scroll button & it functions properly.

5. Jack1000

Jack1000

I would suspect a malware infection,

Do you keep your anti-virus software up to date (as in on an at least weekly basis) and periodically keep malware removal software up to date and run system scans?

The first thing you should do is update your Anti-Virus software and run a system scan. Delete everything that it finds.

Next you should download, install, update, and immediately run scans for each of the following programs:

Spybot Search and Destroy

Adware SE

Windows Defender

Update and run full scans on each of these programs. In Adaware SE, UN-CHECK the option that says, "Scan For Negligible Risk Entries." before scanning.

All of these programs can be downloaded from the homepage of this computer help site:

www.savemybutt.com

I would also recommend doing an on-line virus scan and removal at Trend Micro's Housecall Site:

This will only work in IE:

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Follow the prompts to install all of the updates and scan all of your computer. This is one of the best malware removal products around and will not interfere with pre-existing installed software. The drawback is that it can take about 40 minutes to an hour to scan your system depending on what is found. Follow the prompts. If asked to rescan again, do so.

If you do not have ANTI-VIRUS software on your system or what you have is very old (i.e more than a year), I would recommend REMOVING ALL YOUR PREEXISTING ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARE THROUGH ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS ON YOUR COMPUTER'S CONTROL PANEL. THAN YOU SHOULD DOWNLOAD, INSTALL, AND UPDATE TO AVG ANTI-VIRUS 7.5. This is available from the download section of www.savemybutt.com. BEFORE YOU INSTALL AVG, YOU MUST REMOVE ALL OTHER ANTI-VIRUS PROGRAMS ON YOUR COMPUTER. OTHERWISE IT WILL SLOW DOWN YOUR SYSTEM TOO MUCH AND CREATE CONFLICTS.

I would recommend AVG over Norton (i.e Symantic) or McAfee. It is free, provides almost daily updates and is very non-intrusive. Update and run a scan with AVG. BUT YOU ONLY NEED TO HAVE AVG IF YOUR PRESENT AV IS REALLY OUT OF DATE OR CAUSING PROBLEMS FOR YOU.

Additionally, I would also recommend AVG's Anti-Spyware program. (This will work regardless of whether you have a different Anti-Virus Program on your system.) You can download this program here:

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/avg-anti-spyware-free/lng/us/tpl/v5

Download, install, immediately update and run a full scan. (May take another 45 minutes) Delete everything found according to the prompts.

You will get the full version of AVG Anti-Spyware, which will provide automatic updating and a resident shield to guard your system of threats for 30 days. At the end of the trial period, you can choose to extend your protection for $30/year or $40/2 years. Only the Resident Shield and the Automatic Updating will be deactivated after 30 days if you don't get the full version. (I have the full version.) But you can scan on demand with the free version whenever you want. (Updates daily) Grisoft, who makes AVG Anti-Virus/AVG Anti-Spyware is REALLY top of the line.

Than after you get ALL this other stuff updated and scanned, go back to www.savemybutt.com and download a program called Spyware Blaster and after installing, update it. This program is not a scanner, but is a resident shield that guards against spyware on your system. They say that updates are released once a week , but it's more like 2x a month.

Check for updates on these programs like 2x a month or whenever your system is acting strange in any way than run a scan. It will take a lot of time to do the updates and scans for these programs, but they are all excellent.

If you are still having problems with IE after all of this, you should post this issue in the Security Forums and someone will show you how to download, and install a program called HijackThis, and post a Hijack This log to help get malware off your computer. Try these ideas first and GOOD LUCK!

Jack

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536036

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice