1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IE7 icon not showing in the start menu

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by karbo, Apr 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. karbo

karbo Banned Thread Starter

I don't know why, but I've noticed that all the programs in the start menu with links to websites don't show the IE7 icon. Why is that. I've also noticed in the system32 folder that the shell32.dll shows up many times with numbers beside them. I have shel32(3).dll, 4,5,6 + the original shel32.dll. I don't think it's normal. How the hell did they duplicate like this? And how do I correct the situation with the icon association in the start menu?

Thank you

2. Sponsor

3. karbo

bump

4. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

To download HJTsetup.exe from TrendSecure To Download HijackThis go to the following at the File Repository
    Click on the link below to Download HijackThis Self Installer:

http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/threat_analytics/HJTInstall.exe

Save the file to your desktop.
    Double click on the HJTsetup.exe icon on your desktop.
    By default it will install to C:\Program Files\HijackThis.
    Continue to click Next in the setup dialog boxes until you get to the Select Additional Tasks dialog.
    Put a check by Create a desktop icon then click Next again.
    Continue to follow the rest of the prompts from there.
    At the final dialog box click Finish and it will launch Hijack This.
    Click on the Do a system scan and save a log file button. It will scan and then ask you to save the log.
    Click Save to save the log file and then the log will open in notepad.
    At the top of the Notepad HJT log screen, hit Edit then Select All then click Edit and then click Copy doing that copies the text to the clipboard, you won't see it yet....
    Come back here to this thread and Paste the log in your next reply.
    DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.
    A security expert with a gold shield to the right of their name should take a look at your log - please be patient.

5. karbo

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
    Scan saved at 09:09:16, on 2008-04-05
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16608)
    Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\HP Multimedia Keyboard\KMaestro.exe
    C:\Program Files\ActiveTracker 2.0 for Outlook Express\ReadNotify.exe
    C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\egui.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Aide mémoire\Aide mémoire.exe
    C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\ekrn.exe
    C:\Program Files\Fichiers communs\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
    C:\Program Files\CDBurnerXP\NMSAccessU.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = about:blank
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName = Liens
    O2 - BHO: Aide pour le lien d'Adobe PDF Reader - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Fichiers communs\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\ssv.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IMJPMIG8.1] "C:\WINDOWS\IME\imjp8_1\IMJPMIG.EXE" /Spoil /RemAdvDef /Migration32
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002ASync] C:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /SYNC
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002A] C:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /IMEName
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Alcmtr] ALCMTR.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BtcMaestro] "C:\Program Files\HP Multimedia Keyboard\KMaestro.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ActiveTracker for Outlook Express] C:\Program Files\ActiveTracker 2.0 for Outlook Express\ReadNotify.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [egui] "C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\egui.exe" /hide /waitservice
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'SERVICE LOCAL')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'SERVICE RÉSEAU')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'SYSTEM')
    O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'Default user')
    O4 - Startup: Aide mémoire.lnk = ?
    O4 - Startup: Palm Registration.lnk = C:\Program Files\Palm\register.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Fichiers communs\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: HOTSYNCSHORTCUTNAME.lnk = C:\Program Files\Palm\Hotsync.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xporter vers Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Console Java (Sun) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O16 - DPF: {02BF25D5-8C17-4B23-BC80-D3488ABDDC6B} (QuickTime Object) - http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite.net/content.info.apple.com/QuickTime/qtactivex/qtplugin.cab
    O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://www.update.microsoft.com/win...ls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1206819071453
    O16 - DPF: {8AD9C840-044E-11D1-B3E9-00805F499D93} (Java Runtime Environment 1.6.0) - http://sdlc-esd.sun.com/ESD39/JSCDL...-jc.cab&File=jinstall-6u5-windows-i586-jc.cab
    O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://fpdownload2.macromedia.com/get/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.dll
    O23 - Service: Eset HTTP Server (EhttpSrv) - ESET - C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\EHttpSrv.exe
    O23 - Service: Eset Service (ekrn) - ESET - C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\ekrn.exe
    O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Fichiers communs\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
    O23 - Service: NMSAccessU - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\CDBurnerXP\NMSAccessU.exe
    O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe

--
    End of file - 6246 bytes

6. karbo

If this can help, I've noticed that some links (internet shortcuts) say they open with Internet Explorer with a little house for icon. Others, the right ones, say they also open with Internet Explorer but this time it's with the IE icon for shortcuts (the white page with a little "e"). I think there's a bad file asociation. Should I change this in the "folder options" under file types?

7. karbo

Im beginning to wonder if I shoud run "scannow sfc"...

8. karbo

It's possible that my question is somewhat not clear. I'm not sure anymore that I remember how the icons were before I installed my new XP Pro SP2. I don't want to make a big fuss about something that seems pretty insignificant. It's just because I bough a new computer 5 days ago and made a clean install of XP and it kills me to know some files may already be corrupted. I worked a lot to install all components and programs and I wouldn't want to start all over again so soon.

So, that being said, could some of you perform a really simple task for me? Please open your start menu. Now tell me under all those programs you have there, what is the icon associated with all your links to websites. Do you see the Internet Explorer favorites icon or the little white rectangle (of no file association). Here are examples of the icons:

Thank you for your time

Attached Files:

• IE.jpg
      IE.jpg
      File size:
      1.6 KB
      Views:
    • icon.jpg
      icon.jpg
      File size:
      1.6 KB
      Views:
  9. zabusant

zabusant

Hi karbo!

I don't think scannow /sfc would work - it only checks and replaces some crucial files. When you double click on the link with the messed up icon, does it open in IE? Usually when you change an icon with a third party application, it makes a backup of the shell32.dll (hence the (2), (3),...). Have you used any such programs?

Anyhow, you should be able to restore the original shell32.dll simply by renaming it (remove the (4)). But make sure you copy the shell32.dll you have now to a safe location, if you need to replace it.:)

And as for your question, the links in Start menu should have the ie/firefox icon (at least mine do).:D

10. karbo

I know it must be caused by a third party program. I did install a program called Favorg to manage and find IE favicons. Other than that, I really don't know. But, I used it before and it didn't do that.

Damn, how am I going to fix this! How can I get back the right associations in the start menu for IE shortcuts? Would Tweak UI and its "repair icons" function do the trick?

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/700424