Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

IE7 & Windows Live Messenger Problems with Vista

4K views 2 replies 1 participant last post by  Hate Computers 
#1 ·
Hi everyone!

I really hope someone out there can help me out with this, because it’s driving me insane! I have searched and searched through endless forums and websites trying to find a solution, but I can’t seem to find one. I posted this in the Web/Email section last week, but no one replied, so maybe I'll have more luck in here.

Here's the deal.... I’ve got a brand new computer, running Vista Home Premium, and from the moment I got it I have been having problems with Internet Explorer 7 and Windows Live Messenger.

I can surf the net and chat on WLM at the same time for hours on end, but at random, I start to get “Internet Explorer cannot display this page” and WLM disconnects. It’s not always the same websites that causes it, and it doesn’t happen every time, like I said it’s just really random.

For example, earlier it happened with TSG.... the main Forums page opened fine, but when I clicked on a forum name, I just got "IE cannot display the page", and WLM disconnected. It even happened when I went to the Microsoft website!

I don’t think it’s an actual connection problem because when it happens, AIM and other stuff, like Outlook, Limewire etc. stay connected and my little wireless icon in the taskbar says I am connected as normal. It just seems that whatever is wrong just affects IE and WLM. However, the IE problem still occurs even when WLM isn’t running, so I guess it can’t be caused by a conflict of the two programs. Ohhhh I just don’t know, it’s doing my head in!!

I've cleared the IE cache, reset IE settings, installed Windows updates, reinstalled network drivers, updated network drivers, installed any Vista-related drivers needed, run virus/spyware scans, run network diagnostic programme (which reckons there's no problem!)... God knows what else! I just don't know what to do next.

Can anyone please help me with this, or point me in the right direction?

See less See more
#2 ·
Update:

I installed Firefox and the exact same thing happens. I can access the internet no problem, and can access websites. Then, all of a sudden, for no reason I get the following:-

"The connection was reset

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading"

And Windows Live Messenger disconnects.

Soooo.... now I'm thinking it's something to do with my connection settings?

It still doesn't explain why WLM gets booted off and AIM and other stuff stay connected, but it might be a good starting point....

Anyone got any ideas?

(Note to mods: Sorry guys, this is probably in the wrong forum now isn't it. Feel free to move it :eek: )

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.