1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ie7

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by terryxp, Jul 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. terryxp

terryxp Thread Starter

IE7 beta crapped out on my machine. Locked up during install, now cant finish install nor uninstall and go back to ie6... MS ie7 tech support didnt help either... anyone else have this problem

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

IE7 is a beta version and should be installed only if you are a beta tester but others do anyway. I would suggest going to add/remove programs and un-installing and go back to IE6.

3. terryxp

terryxp Thread Starter

Ha... yeah. It wont uninstall. From add/remove or anywhere else.

4. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Try a system reatore to before you installed it.

5. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

6. terryxp

terryxp Thread Starter

I've tried all of the above. I DL'd IE7 again and treid to install. Just hangs. Wont install, or uninstall. I had beta 2 on working fine, this happened when I tried to install beta 3. Now it just hangs... I was on the phone with some chimp from microsofts IE7 support number for an hour. He said he would call me back the next day after doing some research. Never did. Then when I finally got a reply like a week later he supplied me with a bogus email addy for a supervisor when I got tired of dealing with him, he was NO help at all. Then I emailed him the next day after that and his email was bounced back to me as being no longer valid. WTF. MS can kiss my arse... firefox is better anyway...

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

This is a complete guess but this problem has been cropping up all over the internet and I would guess if you do the XP Repair, it will return you to IE6.0...you will need to reinstall any added srevice packs as well.
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

8. bob_greenock

bob_greenock

what about inserting the windows xp cd in the drive and then START>RUN>SFC /SCANNOW

that has got to be worth a try.

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

SFC isn't going tp make it move back to IE 6.0. I am betting Repair will though as it returns it to "pristine" XP from the original cd.

10. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Rich-M I think you are going to be right and if you by some chance are wrong then the only way to get it out is going to be a full recovery. Either way I suggest backing up all of the important data on your computer to another media like CD-R's or DVD before any of the procedures you will have to run.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487643

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice