ie7

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bszabo

Can someone please give me a simple explanation as to how to install this software? disabling my firewall, anti-virus, and spyware programs does not work.
Thanks, bszabo

It should install itself once you've downloaded it. However, I would caution against installing IE7 on XP. It has a known issue (MS has acknowledged it) with XP SP2 that corrupts parts of Windows itself. It may - or may not - happen to you, but recovering from it is a PITA. Caveat Emptor with IE7 on XP.

Oh, IE7 will not create damage.

I updated it and this is the order you should do it in. Sorry my fault

Simply create a system restore point before installing and you will be fine. IE7 installs just fine if done correct.

Some have issue with installing IE7. (99% is due to not following "installing an update procedure")
Steps to take before updating (pretty much should do this for every/any update, most of the following info at least)
1. Do a disk cleanup, clean temp Internet files, empty recycle bin and run spyware programs
(CCleaner is good for cleanup,)
I recommend
Ad-Aware SE Personal
I run this daily
SpywareBlaster 3.5.1
I update once a week (keeps bad pages with known malware that cold cause damage from being displayed.)
Spybot - Search & Destroy
Daily or every other day
CwShredder
This is one I only use once a month lol but good to have
AVG Anti-Spyware
daily
2. Remove anything you may have added to the browser such as Google toolbar ext.. (reinstall after update)
3. Run chkdsk and defrag
( Start, my computer, right click on your hard drive, select properties, select tools, error checking click "check now"(chkdsk). and defrag)
4. VERY IMPORTANT, disable your antivirus, Disable all spyware programs (they have many blockers on them such as homepage ext.. so they all need to be disabled)
5. Shut down any running program that does not need to be running. get it down to the bare min (just want XP running and nothing else)

Then download IE7 (from here)
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/...s/default.mspx

And install it.

If done correct you should have no issues with IE7, I personally have had only 1 install issue and have done so many I can't even count, and nobody has called to say they have an issue with it.

I've seen it happen on multiple machines. Microsoft even sent out a warning about it back in December...

The most common problems that I've seen are that once it's installed, something goes wrong. You try to run system restore and that doesn't work because of the corruption. SFC will generally fix the problems that were caused by IE7, but not always. I've had one instance where I had to do a complete system re-install.

I'm not going to go into a argument about it but if done correctly you will not have any issues. system restore should be able to do any install change even if there was corruption, system restore backs up the registry and if asked it puts it like it was. If you had that serious of an issue with installing IE7 the computer already had an issue and the IE7 install just revealed it.

I'm not trying to start an argument...

I was however, pointing out that Microsoft put out a statement to the effect that IE7 will cause problems with XP SP2 and the fact that I have witnessed said problems.

MCSA said:
I'm not trying to start an argument...

I was however, pointing out that Microsoft put out a statement to the effect that IE7 will cause problems with XP SP2 and the fact that I have witnessed said problems.
again that leaves no room for a good install, if they said anything they would of said "that IE7 can cause problems with XP SP2"
A bit exaggerated.

Please show me this statement. I have seen many put out on IE7 and its issues but nothing stating it "will"

I would just like to read the article you are referring to.

MCSA said:
It should install itself once you've downloaded it. However, I would caution against installing IE7 on XP. It has a known issue (MS has acknowledged it) with XP SP2 that corrupts parts of Windows itself. It may - or may not - happen to you, but recovering from it is a PITA. Caveat Emptor with IE7 on XP.
Please provide a link to Microsoft's confirmation of such problem. I'm only curious because I have been using IE7 on several XP machines (all SP2) for a while and I haven't had any problems. I'm not saying you're wrong, I would just like to know what it is about.

DoubleHelix

Banned
Well, the system requirements for IE 7 are Windows XP SP2. So what's your point? That there are problems? That's not exactly breaking news when it comes to Microsoft applications.

DoubleHelix said:
That's not exactly breaking news when it comes to Microsoft applications.
No kidding... but, it would still be nice to know what he is referring to.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online