1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IE8 not working

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Wiskerluv, Nov 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Wiskerluv

Wiskerluv Thread Starter

I was using IE7 when it just stopped working. When I would open it it would close immediately. So I re-installed it and same problem. So I uninstallled 7 and proceeded to install Version 8....same thing, it closes immediately. I don't have a clue how to fix this. Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

Before I assist you can you you tell me if you have Service Pack 3 (SP3) installed?

Is your computer currently fully-patched at Windows Update?

Also check in Windows Explorer, navigate to & right-click on
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE <=this file
    Select PROPERTIES | VERSION (tab): What file version is displayed here (e.g., v5.0.1234.56789)

3. Wiskerluv

Wiskerluv Thread Starter

Yes I do have Service Pack 3 and am running XP Pro. All my windows updates have been installed. I never had this problem before...Firefox and AOL browser are working fine but not IE. It worked last night and that was it.

4. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

After you install Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3), you cannot uninstall Windows Internet Explorer 7 or Internet Explorer 8. If you were able to uninstall ie- reinstalling or trying to install ie8 won't work properly because you're running sp3. This is what you're advised to do-
    Please follow directions: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950719

To uninstall Internet Explorer 7 or Internet Explorer 8, follow these steps:
    1. Uninstall Windows XP SP3.

For more information about how to uninstall Windows XP SP3, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 950249 How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 3 from your computer
    2. Uninstall Internet Explorer 7 or Internet Explorer 8.

For more information about how to uninstall Internet Explorer 8, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 957700 How do I uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8
      For more information about how to uninstall Internet Explorer 7, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 927177 How to uninstall Internet Explorer 7
      Note The steps that are listed in KB 927177 also apply to Internet Explorer 8 Beta 1.
    3. Reinstall Windows XP SP3.

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I do not recommend uninstalling a Windows Service pack to troubleshoot an application problem. You're far more likely to cause even more problems than solve this one.

Your first mistake was "uninstalling" IE 7. All you did was roll back to IE 6 and then update to IE 8. Internet Explorer is a part of the operating system. It should only be rolled back as a last resort.

From your brief specs, it looks like you have a very old computer. I suspect either a malware problem or a general Windows corruption problem. Start with a malware scan in the Malware forum here. Or consider a Windows repair.

6. dukevyner

dukevyner

agreed theres a reason it hard to remove service packs

7. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

You can comment on the microsoft website if you don't agree: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950719 "If you are running Windows XP, you may be able to resolve problems with Internet Explorer 7 by re-installing Windows XP Service Pack 3."

Hope you can resolve your issue good luck :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026626

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice