1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IE9 plays media streams for no reason

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by killickp, Nov 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. killickp

killickp Thread Starter

About a week ago I was on a forum reading about WAMP server and got infected by Sphere AV 2012.

It disabled my Trend AV and I pulled the network lead, but was infected to late.

So run malwarebytes and cleaned it, then installed Stopzilla and purged even more. Run AVAST and set it to scan on boot up, the laptop now appears to be clean.

However this is the thing, if I start my laptop up and just leave it running without opening IE it will sit and be fine.

If I open IE and browse the net it is fine, then suddenly it will open another page and goto Amazon/facebook or even this http://okinsider.mevio.com/?utm_source=d69c6b&utm_campaign=d69c6b&utm_medium=d69c6b

I do not even know this site...

Now the freakest thing is if I close IE, suddenly it starts playing what I can only assume is a media feed.
    I do task manager and end the IE task and the feed stops.

I have checked my host files and they look ok, no entries that I have not put in place myself.

I am reluctant to rebuild the laptop as I am a IT Engineer and have loads of special software and a rebuild would take days to bring it back up to speed, but if thats the only way then I will blow it away and start again.

The laptop is running Windows 7 Pro, StopZilla, Security Essentials (NOW), Office 2010 Pro, Teamviewer, PRTG Enterprise Console, AVAYA ACM

Any help greatly recieved, I found a similar thread on this site in October but no resolution.

http://forums.techguy.org/virus-other-malware-removal/1025406-ie-hijacker-cant-pick-up.html

Cheers, Peter

2. killickp

killickp Thread Starter

I have noticed that if I leave IE open for 5 minutes or so and then close it, it remains in task manager and the resource slowly increases. However if I open IE and close it within a couple of minutes it disappears from Task Manager. While I am typing my Laptop is playing a media stream and all I am doing is typing.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028771

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice