1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

iexplore.exe high CPU usage is crippling my machine

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Atkinson905, Dec 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Atkinson905

Atkinson905 Thread Starter

Hi there,

My wife's laptop works fine until we start up Internet Explorer, then it just freezes. I am able to get Taskmanager open and see that CPU usage spikes to more than 90% when I run it and subsequently drops down to a reasonable number once I kill it.

I've run Malwarebytes and have AVG both show no problems. I've even disabled both to ensure they aren't the source of my problem and they are not. It's directly tied to use of iexplore.exe.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Basic, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
    Processor: Genuine Intel(R) CPU 575 @ 2.00GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 13
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 3031 Mb
    Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family, 1292 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 141125 MB, Free - 15342 MB; Q: Total - 9999 MB, Free - 4509 MB; S: Total - 1498 MB, Free - 682 MB;
    Motherboard: LENOVO, KIWDX
    Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

I did a diskclean-up without any impact so any advice is appreciated.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
  3. Atkinson905

Atkinson905 Thread Starter

I was fully expecting a long reply full of jargon and complex commands so when I saw you reply I was thinkg "Yah, right" but now the resonse is "Yah! Right!" :) Don't know what it did but it seems to have fixed the mystery and my wife will once again believe I walk on water (it is winter here). chuckles

Thanks Terry(y)

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :) Good things come in small posts. :D

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1081765

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice