1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

iexplore.exe preventing restart thus updating impossible

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by stbibiana, Jan 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stbibiana

stbibiana Thread Starter

Good day everyone, I hope I'm in the right section.
    I just received a Windows XP desktop for free from my local newspaper and like most used electronics, it has problems. One, is that it came with a beautiful Dell printer, without the installation disc, which is only one reason I don't want to set it back to facory settings. It also has many photo enhancing programs, some with disks, some not, that I'd rather not part with, so I decided to uninstall outdated and useless (to me) programs instead. This was when I noticed the problem. I'm not sure if it had it before I started removing programs.
    The first program that was preventing a normal restart was sprtcmd.exe and when I looked up what it was, I found out that it was a rarely used, long expired program, Dell Support Care Center. I removed it then went to Windows Update and waited for hours while the whole computer updated, then when it was ready to restart, it couldn't, because this time, iexplore.exe was preventing it. This poor thing has either been running or in standby for 2 days now trying to find a solution to this problem. Can someone please help me?
    Through my reading I've learned that iexplore.exe can either be the real command for Internet Explorer or a kind of spyware/malware/worm?, lexeplore.exe, something that can harm the computer. I'm not comfortable with advice or quick fixes from anywhere else (I've done both over the years and no one from here has ever steered me wrong) so when I was stumped, I knew right where I had to turn. Thank-you in advance, I appreciate your time and effort :)

SYSTEM INFO BELOW

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 1
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 509 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller, 1 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 72441 MB, Free - 49864 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Computer Corp., 0K8980
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085313

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice