1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

iexplorer error using webcam

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ron52, Feb 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ron52

ron52 Thread Starter

HI, when i try to use webcam (quickCam Express) through Yahoo Messenger. I get a message that " IEXPLORE IS CAUSING AN ERROR IN ACTIVEXWEBCAM.OCX" . This results in cam not working and locking up in messenger. I down loaded latest internet explorer 6, this did not help either. Everything used to work ok. I can't even find where the activexwebcam.ocx file is.
    Do you have any suggestions, thanks for any help

Ron

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, That should be found in C:\Windows\ Downloaded Program Files, and you can delete it, go to the site and you should be prompted to download and install a new one. Visit Windows Update and get the latest IE stuff.
    The Internet Security settings in IE 6.0 could also be causing some problems....but, if it did it before this, probably not.
    IE 6 also has Privacy tab to allow cookies- is it by any chance blocking something> when you go online, the Red - symbol appears....click on that if you see it, see what address it is blocking. Delete Temporary Internet Files and older than one week TEMP files using Disk Cleanup. Run the IE Repair Tool>from Add/Remove Programs, highlight IE 6 and Internet Tools....click Remove.....then choose to "Repair this version of IE" sometimes, this can fix things.

3. ron52

ron52 Thread Starter

Hi again, when i search for the activexwebcam.ocx file on my computer, it says no file found. I ran the I/E repair tool as well. I'm not too sure about the red symbol indicating something being blocked. Any more thoughts out there?

4. Byteman

Hi, I think you will have to do this: From Windows Explorer- View-Folder Options>View again....Put a dot into "Show all Files" you can also uncheck "Hide File Extensions for Known File Types".... and, it is easier to see what you are doing, so use the "Details" view to do this:::you can toggle back to Folder view, if you want, afterward, but Details I find is much easier.
    Use Windows Explorer, not using Find tool, but manually:
    Highlight the C: drive, in the left tree of directories- do the subfolders show in the right pane of Windows Explorer window?
    You should have a Downloaded Program Files folder in the C:\WINDOWS\ folder.....when you highlight that on the left pane, it should display the contents (all the ActiveX components you have downloaded, like antivirus online scanners....etc) and you can delete them...you may see a message about what they are, but you can selectively delete them.

When you get to the Downloaded Program Files folder, and have the contents displayed on the right pane- right click each, you will see a small window with things like "Version".....click the "Dependency" tab at top, it will display the files in the white box below....eventually, you will get to the .ocx file....the ActiveX control containing the exact .ocx file should be the one you need to get rid of- you will have to reinstall it next visit to that site to use the feature it belongs to. Deleting that ActiveX component may not fix the problem...if there is a conflict with your cam software- you may have an updated driver available for it at it's support site, or there may be some FAQs somewhere, possibly at Yahoo Messenger Help/Support/FAQs.
    You can also delete Downloaded Program Files , from Start>Programs<Accessories>System Tools>Disk Cleanup>drive C:> Downloaded Program Files.....have it show you the files....
    it is in the list along with TEMP files, Temp Internet, Recycle Bin. But, I am not sure you can delete just what you want to, or they all go out at the same time.

5. ron52

ron52 Thread Starter

Thanks Byteman, I'll give your suggestions a try. I am not that much into computers, but what have i got to lose.......lets not go there!!!!!!! One question, you mentioned the ActiveX components being displayed , i assume i just delete the one that Iexplore causing error in and that it tells me what the file was associated with as im not sure where to find it to reload at this point. Thanks again, may be couple days before i get into that, I'll post a note to say how i made out or maybe ask for help on any new problems i caused......grrrrrrrr!

6. Byteman

Hi--
    When you get time, and get to the point using Windows Explorer as I posted above, so that you can see the list of the controls on the right pane of your window, just use the steps I posted to get the files inside them to display....you will have to "examine" each control this way, to see which one has that specific .ocx file....and delete that CONTROL, not the .ocx file....these are the things installed when you are at a website that uses one that you do not have already, when the grey Security box comes up and you are prompted to install and run...download, etc....that specific control. They are not part of Windows, not on your CD....they download when you OK them at a website. It is also the time that you might see a spoofed control asking for permission....look closely at what site it says needs a permission. The last one I saw was Gator....which I had not asked for, they just pop them up in front of you, and people are used to just OKing these controls, which accounts for a lot of the spyware that "comes from nowhere" that we help posters with at TSG. The Secuirty forum here has tons of info on spywares, if you would care to learn about that. It is a leading cause of performance lags online.....very similar to a bad worm infection when there is a lot of it on a system. Also, a very aggressive form of invasion of privacy many people feel.
    If for any reason, you need to get a new control, just use something like Google.com to search the control name....write them down before you ditch any. A visit to the website that uses it will reinstall it, like for the Housecall.antivirus.com online virus scan.

I am not really sure that deleting the control is any solution to your problem.....unless it is just a corrupt file, which does happen. Only way to tell is get rid of the one you have and try using a new one- the name of the control will tell you probably what site you needed it for.

7. ron52

ron52 Thread Starter

Thanks Byteman, I finally found the .ocx file and deleted by way of your last suggestion thru disc cleanup. When I right clicked the file , there was no delete function, but backing out one step and right clicking the folder (which just contained that file and others associated with it) i was able to delete the folder and contents, which was fine.
    Been slowly reading through the info here on spywares you mentioned, again im not that much into computers but find this "stuff" ( as you can see, using highly technical terms ) very interesting now.
    Thanks again for your help, I'm sure I'll have more problems and questions as time goes on, but guess that's what computers are all about.

Ron

8. Byteman

Yes, that's what the directions said....you delete the Control (program, whatever) not the individual file...you needed to find the file to know what Control to get rid of...glad you did, but you did not say whether the error you were getting from the webcam/messenger is still hanging around...try things for a while, but please be sure to come back and let us know.

9. ron52

ron52 Thread Starter

Sorry byteman, yes i should have mentioned that now the cam and messenger work together again. Guess there was some conflict with the file I deleted which did not seem to have any relationship to messenger or the cam. It's fixed now, thats what counts. Thanks again

10. Byteman

Ron- Thanks for posting back! The camera and the Yahoo messenger software must have some sort of conflict...there might be some updates for your camera availabe from it's support site...
    It makes sense that the program using it, Yahoo Messenger/video chat, would be the one to look for....these online video chats use ActiveX or other downloaded components...like when you use an online antivirus scanner...the control downloads along with updates....it stays on the hard drive, in the folder "Downloaded Program Files". They do not always install or work right....might have something to do with the install of IE 6, or some settings in Security for IE. The control programs...are not the software like the program, Yahoo messenger, uses...just a component that has to be on your system to use the video chat. Windows Update has one, for instance. These are shown in the results from the Startup List diagnostic that we have people post to help weed out problems.
    Well, glad you can use the cam and thanks again.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119236

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice