If ad for PC SSD says NVMe, safe to assume it's PCIe?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bj nick

Sorry for the basic question; it gets really confusing. Some of the highly detailed articles don't make it clear (to people like me who are not as technically literate), whether or not seeing NVMe can be assumed; they say that it can go with SATA or PCIe....or they seem to.

crjdriver

A M.2 format drive [which is what I assume you are asking] can be either nvme or sata. The specs should tell you however one easy way to tell is the speed of the drive. A M.2 that is sata is not going to be much [if any] faster than a standard sata ie around 500mbps. A nvme type drive is going to be much faster; as much as 10X faster if it is gen4. One of my personal systems uses a gen4 drive and gets approx 5000mbps. Boots windows in about 4 seconds after the POST beep.

bj nick

Thanks for this. To be clear: the specs on the Amazon page say "NVMe," but they don't always specifically say "PCIe," though some do. So my assumption is that anything saying NVNe is going to be PCIe......correct? I should probably just ask the dealer, but I sort of want to understand this better.

crjdriver

Yes, if it is nvme, it is pcie. Most motherboard mfg have an approved or qvl list for nvme drives. Be sure you check this list. Just because you have a M.2 slot does NOT mean your motherboard will work with every nvme drive.

Sorry for the basic question; it gets really confusing. Some of the highly detailed articles don't make it clear (to people like me who are not as technically literate), whether or not seeing NVMe can be assumed; they say that it can go with SATA or PCIe....or they seem to.
You may not see as big a difference in performance as the specifications would have you believe:

bj nick

Interesting, I'm sure that could well be true, but I'm not going to be doing the highest end kind of projects like film composers are doing, I'm sure it will be more than plenty of power, as I have been assured by experts who have advised me what to get.

bj nick

Yes, if it is nvme, it is pcie. Most motherboard mfg have an approved or qvl list for nvme drives. Be sure you check this list. Just because you have a M.2 slot does NOT mean your motherboard will work with every nvme drive.
This is good advice, but fortunately it won't apply to me, as I'm buying a machine new. It will be professionally built and I just get to choose a couple of the options.

crjdriver

You probably would not see much difference when running games or programs. Where I see a BIG difference is in boot times for windows. The one machine here that still has a sata ssd takes approx 10 seconds or so after the POST beep. The gen4 nvme machine takes 4 seconds after the POST beep.
The gen4 nvme machine is 60% faster in boot time. 60% is a pretty substantial improvement in performance.

You do need to watch temps since a gen4 drive does get warm. On many X570 chipset boards the chipset cooling fan also cools the M.2 drive so that helps.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online