1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

if I am the administrator then why am I not the administrator

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by eleos, Dec 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. eleos

eleos Thread Starter

Hi there.
    I've been using safari on windows 7 and it;s been working fine until now. After installing an update from apple, safari stopped working properly. When I click on the desktop shortcut a windows installer message pops out that says 'preparing to install' (well, what do you mean preparing to install?) which never completes as an error message pops out- fatal error problem with shortcut.
    Ok so, not having the slightest idea what all this means I thought I'd just uninstall safari. But no. Safari cannot be uninstalled because the system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation,as windows installer puts it.
    Well, I thought the system administrator and I were the same person. My user account is set to administrator. I just don;t understand. I tried the hidden administrator account thing, which was not helpful because it created another account when all I want is one sole account of which I am the only administrator. Why is that so complicated anyway?

oh. also, this whole safari situation affected itunes that immediately stopped working and powerdirector which opened but did not work properly(it kept crashing after a few seconds)

I have also tried restoring the system to an earlier time and cleaning up registry with cccleaner.
    so, I would like to gain administrator access by becoming the administrator that I already am, plus fix these fatal error issues.
    I don;t know what else to do. can someone please help? thank you.

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

It seems something has messed up the Safari installation. Try using Revo Uninstaller ( there's a free version )

3. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

You are not an administrator. You are using a standard Windows account with the ability to use elevated permissions. All you need to do is right-click on the program you want to run as administrator. Select "Run as Administrator." That program (and that program alone) will run as an administrator.

This is a Windows security feature that actually works (if you use it properly).

4. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

In fact many functions in Windows 7 require all users, even administrative accounts, to provide elevated permissions by default. Most likely, eleos has been bitten by one of Apple's security vulnerabilities, and he should report the thread and ask that it be moved to Malware Removal.

5. eleos

eleos Thread Starter

well , first of all thank you all..so this is what happened afterall: after having spent hours trying to solve this I thought I'd finally come to a solution by deleting the safari shotcut and then running it from program files. But that worked only for a few days, because now I have a problem with AVG. So it seems there's an issue with windows installer? it seems that every time there is a program update something goes wrong. AvG is not working properly, and will not complete update( error 1719) , the same like safari did after updating, and will also not uninstall(no administrator issues this time). any idea what to do about this?
    I tried the Microsoft fix it, which seems to have uninstalled AVG succesfully from the all programs list yet the shortcut is still there and it also appears at the start menu and when I again click on uninstall AVG same error 1719 appears.When will this end??............

6. eleos

eleos Thread Starter

Could you please explain this more? This is my home computer, why am I not the administrator? Who is the administrator if not myself? And why am I tagged as one then at the users menu? security feature..how ?
    thanks

7. lunarlander

lunarlander

You have an admin account, But when you login, the admin token is held apart separatetly until you do either one of these: some programs will pop up a dialog box asking if you want to continue, and when you answer "continue" your admin token is used; another time is when you right click on a program file name and choose "run as administrator", then also, your admin token will be used.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

It is not recommended that users work on a regular basis with elevated privileges, anyeway, because that opens up everything that is accessible from that account to malware you might pick up. It is recommended to use a limited account for day-to-day operation.

But a user with elevated privileges is not an administrator, though he can be a member of the administrators group. And administrators are limited in what they can do, just as all accounts are.

Besides that, an error such as yours does not necessarily mean that it is a permissions issue. That is one possibility among many and the chances are that the Windows Installer was malfunctioning or tried to access protected content, or files that were in use. Administrators do not have the rights to bypass those conditions, among many others.

9. eleos

eleos Thread Starter

thank you for your reply, I think I sort of get it now- last questions: is there something you could suggest I do about the windows installer to fix these issues permenantly? Almost every time there is some update going on, I have problems running programs such as power director 9 plus performance issues when I surf on the internet- the pages will not load quickly and videos on those pages will sometimes play sound but not image- or the cursor will not move up and down on the page.
    (and just so that I understand this completely- who has the right to bypass any conditions on my pc? A Vaio expert?)
    Thank you so much for your time everyone!

10. eleos

eleos Thread Starter

thanks! I think I get the logic of it now.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030206

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice