1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

If I get wine, could I make a dial-up internet work?

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by PrinceRameses, Apr 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PrinceRameses

PrinceRameses Thread Starter

I am getting fluxbuntu or ubuntu, and I have dsl, but use a dial-up for my e-mail. It's netscape connect. If I could I would just use aol to log-in for my e-mail, and get rid of the dial-up. but it doesn't seem to work.

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

There's no other way to access this e-mail account? No website, POP protocol, nothing except dialing a phone number with a modem? It might be time to migrate to a new e-mail account.

3. PrinceRameses

I can't do that. :( It's not MY e-mail I'm worried about. Other people use it, too. But, like I said, It is accessible from aol, but I get an error when I try to view the mail.. Plus I'm not sure if it will work if I cancel the dial-up.

Oh, and it's not using the phone line directly; it uses dsl. ;)

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Your first post clearly says my e-mail. I think this is something you need to look into. I hope you're not paying a monthly fee for this dial-up account just for an e-mail address.

5. PrinceRameses

we are. :)

(not my choice)

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

What happens when you try to log in? Are you entering the full e-mail address in the user name login field (this would include the @domain.com part of the address as well)?

EDIT: Either this is a dial-up modem or it's DSL. They're two different technologies.

7. PrinceRameses

Originally it was dial up. the we got dsl, so we made it so it would connect through dsl and not tie up the phone line.

This is what I get when I click the mail:

Feature Unavailable
    The feature you requested is presently unavailable.

Try Again

Feedback | Help Pages | AOL.com

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Okay. I'm lost. Either you're using a dial-up connection with a phone line directly connected to a dial-up modem inside your computer or you're using a USB cable or an Ethernet connection to connect to a DSL modem. You're confusing two completely separate technologies. Having a DSL modem connecting to a phone line is not dial-up.

I can't tell what you've got installed or how you're using it (including e-mail).

9. PrinceRameses

Let's just call it dial-up. It's what it is, just not using the phone line.

Anyhow, My question is if I can get it to work with wine when I get linux. :)

10. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

By definition dial-up uses a phone line. If you're not using a dial-up modem to dial a phone number, then you're using the broadband DSL connection.

For anyone to help you with the problem, you have to know what connections and technologies you're actually using. It would be a waste for someone to spend hours helping you get a dial-up modem working only to find out you're connecting through Ethernet using a DSL connection.

Maybe someone else will come along who can explain to you better than I can. Frankly, it's making my head spin.

11. PrinceRameses

It's the program that needs to work. It uses en ethernet connection.

Will the PROGRAM work with wine? :(

12. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

What program?

I can't imagine what type of e-mail account you have that isn't accessible via a web browser.

13. PrinceRameses

14. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

15. PrinceRameses

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/700590

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice