1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

if i have 1 ide and 1 scsi hard drive how do i install windows on the new scsi hd?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lee 1979, Aug 13, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lee 1979

Lee 1979 Thread Starter

windows98 is already on my 13gb ide drive, but i have a new 9gb scsi drive which is really fast 80mb/sec,
    I would like to install only windows for now so machine boots faster, can i do this and still have other files on existing slower 13gb hdd i.e. games, txt files and pics?
    I have managed to make ide drive as slave but i dont know how to go abouts installing win98 on scsi, as machine keeps booting to windows, from the slave drive. And when i attempt to install win98 it tries to put it on the ide drive which alwready has it on.
    Do i need to disconnect the power supply to the ide hdd?
    Does scsi drives have master/slave jumper setting like the ide?

My new hdd is MAG3091LC on this page
    www.fujitsu.co.jp/hypertext/hdd/drive/disk_e.html

2. rip

rip

I've had this happen to me with 2 ide drives. Disconnect your ide drive. Boot to a Win98 floppy and you should see the scsi drive as C. Then you can install.

Mark

3. LarryCore

LarryCore

IDE will come before SCSI unless you can toggle it in BIOS. Check your BIOS and see if there is a Boot Options section, where you can switch from A,C to C,A and hopefully SCSI,A,C.

If not, the IDE is always going to be the first drive.

------------------
    Get free stuff and help out a poor computer tech

7/9 added two pay to listen to music sites

I've gotten 5 $18 amazon.com GCs in 4 weeks listening to music! http://www.rkfdcore.com/ebaypics/referrals.htm

4. Lee 1979

Lee 1979 Thread Starter

What do u mean when u say windows flopy? and where can i get one?
    i have a system restorer pack which i received with my comp, it consists of a cd and floppy. I also have a windows cd.

5. RonK

RonK

To make a floppy:
    Go to Control panel
    Add/Remove programs
    Click on the ---Startup Disk
    You can make the floppy from there.

6. Lee 1979

Lee 1979 Thread Starter

Ive disconnected the ide drive then rebooted and installed win98 on the scsi hdd. But as soon as I reconnect both drives it boots from the old drive.
    Do u think if i have win98 on only the new scsi drive and format the ide,it will work that way
    ...there is not an option in the bios to switch bootable devices.
    ...does fdisk have anything to do with it? (active drive)
    thanks for any replies

7. LarryCore

LarryCore

As soon as you hook up the IDE it will try to boot from it. If there is no OS on it you will get an error saying there is no OS.

You MAY be able to get around this by making your entire IDE drive an extended partition... but I don't think FDISK supports that. I think you need a utility like Partition Magic. Not sure about that. I'm also not sure it would work.

As for the active partition, that is on a per drive basis, not a per computer basis. So, even if the SCSI is set to active, the main IDE partition will be too.

Your BIOS has no boot options, or just nothing other than A,C?

------------------
    Get free stuff and help out a poor computer tech

7/9 added two pay to listen to music sites

I've gotten 5 $18 amazon.com GCs in 4 weeks listening to music! http://www.rkfdcore.com/ebaypics/referrals.htm

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/33504

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice