1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

If Windows CD ROM Dosen't Know File Path During an Install???

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Jack1000, Sep 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jack1000

Jack1000 Thread Starter

Guys,

I am running Windows 98 on a 6 year old Gateway PC. My question is with regards to file names and when the computer asks for my Windows 98 CD Rom when new hardware or software is installed.

Many times when this happens (when asked to insert the Windows 98 CD ROM) Windows can not find the correct file because the file name that it is looking for is incorrect. But, I can resolve the problem by typing in the new file name so that the CD ROM recognizes the disk and can continue loading the software.

My question, is the incorrect file path would be something like: C:/windows.dill and they have me change it to something else and my question is, which file name would be right for these very old Windows 98 CD's when asked to insert them? I have typed in d:/win98 and it works or d:\win98 and the CD Rom is recognized. Which file name is correct? If neither is correct, what do you need to type in the filename box or the RUN box to get old versions of Windows 98 drives to recognize the CD ROM?

I guess what I am saying is, what do you do when you know that your CD ROM works fine, and the CD of the program works fine, but Windows can't find what it needs to install the software when the CD is needed?

Do you use the slash below the question mark or the slash below the backspace key? Any help on this issue would be great! Like I said, the programs and hardware work fine, but I need some assistence in knowing what to do when a filename is not recognized during a plug and play type of situation when Windows asks for the CD ROM and can't find the file but you can change the file name so that the CD Rom recongnizes it. I think I am on the right track with one or the other of those d:/win 98 or d:\win 98, or is it d:win98? Oh wait! Yea, I have two CD Roms, so would it be E:\win98 or E:/win98? (I don't use that D drive much because it is old and needs cleaning.)

OK, here is the config for drives on my system if that helps:

A: Floppy Drive

C: Hard Drive

D: CD ROM (Reader ONLY), the old dirty one that came with the computer and sometimes doesn't read files correctly. I got an error message that said drive might need cleaning during an install

E: Fairly new CD-Rom RW, that I use for all my CD Rom's from now on.

Jack

2. lizard

lizard

Hi Jack1000!

Use your good Drive E:
    In that case, the needed files should be in E:\win98.

If you can't seem to find the file it's looking for, you should be able to search the E: drive without messing up the install via...

Start>Find>Files or Folders...
    Click the 'Name & Location' tab
    In the 'Named' box, type the filename.
    In the 'Look in' box, make sure it reads 'Drive E:'
    Check the 'Include subfolders' box.
    Click 'Find Now'

I hope this helps!

-\- :)

3. Justinl

Justinl

Stop using your cd, and simply copy Windows98 onto your hard drive. To do this simply make a directory called Win98 or whatever, and copy all files from D:\Win98 onto it. That way you'll never need to use your cd again.

4. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

thats only half right, if you never want to use your cd again, *warning don't do this unless you know what you are doing* reformat your harddrive, copy the win98 folder of the windows cd to a folder on your newly formatted. go there and run setup. that way u can install off the harddrive and whenever u need the 98 disk point to the folder you copied those files 2.

5. Jack1000

Jack1000 Thread Starter

Great help Guys--I appreciate it!!! Um...one thing, what do I do if I go through the Start/Find/FilesorFolders/filname/lookin subfolders and after clicking "Find Now" What happens after "Find Now?" Would I just double click on the files to install them? What if there is more than 1 file found?

Thanks for the info about putting all of Win 98 on my hard drive. Unfortunately, I have only a 5 gbtye hard drive. (6 years old) so I am going to stick with the CD ROM in the new drive for now.

Jack

6. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

o ps u dont need to copy the whole cd, just create a directory on your harddrive called cabs, go into your windows 98 folder on the cd and copy everything from that folder (should be alotta cabs files) to your harddrive. its only 300 megs and when anything asks for your windows 98 cd just point to that cabs directory.

7. lizard

lizard

Oh ya!
    After the 'Find Now'
    sorry about that.. :eek:

Take a note of the path that the file is located in.
    Exit the search utility and go back to the install.
    Click the 'Browse' button & direct the installation along that path to the file.
    Select the file and continue...

_

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269855

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice