1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved If you have a Cellphone, please help!

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by hamster, Dec 16, 2001.

Unmark Solved
Advertisement
  1. hamster

hamster Guest Thread Starter

Hey you!~

I am confuse about cellphones.

1) if someone calls you. Are you still Using up your Minutes?

2) If I call a 800 number Am I'm still paying for that call using my minutes?

3) AND MOST IMPORTANTLY.... If I just call a number and let it ring and ring but No One picks up. am I'm still paying for that call?

or am I'm only paying when someone answers?

4) If I call to check my messages, am I'm paying with my minutes?

I have a basic plan. please don't tell me to check the FAQ's from my provider, they don't tell me squat :(

so that's why I have to come to a computer help board to ask questions about it!!

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

hamster
    Below applies to most companies but not all so it is best to speak directly to your cell phone provider.

1) Yes you are charged. The only way you are not docked minutes
    is when you are outside your local area (roaming) and then you are charged long distance from your specific location.

2) Here is a quote from the FCC website. "All Toll Free Phone Calls Are Free"
    Because you use "air time" to call a toll free number from your cell phone, a fee is charged, and more than one may apply. Read your contract or check with your provider before making that toll free call.

3) No most provider do not charge for unanswered, or busy signal
    calls. Answering machines count as calls.

4) Checking you messages usually count as a call.

Best thing you could do as I mentioned above is call your provider for clarification on those questions. Also be diligent in reviewing your bill for charges. There can be many and some you may need
    clarification on. Fee's is a blanket term for lets pick the consumers pocket. Another point which has happened to me several times
    is review all charges when you are on the outskirts of you local area. Many times a cell phone will pick up a tower outside your area because its strength is greater for whatever reason.
    Dispute these charges because they can be significant. Most carriers will credit your account with those circumstances.
    Hope that helps.
    Dave

3. Dark Star

Dark Star

Good Question and good answers too..........

I think Davey covered it quite well. I can only add one thing whenever you use the cell phone think of is as a receiver/transmitter............... IOW no matter what whenever it receives "the clock is ticking" whenever it transmitts the same applies.

The seconds are rounded off to the minute so 61 seconds becomes two minutes. If you have voice mail options try to check those from a land line if possible, in a months billing cycle you can run up a bunch of minutes just checking voice mail and your carrier loves you for it. :rolleyes:

IOW they have conviniently inplaced all the voice options to make sure the clock is ticking while you press buttons ie. "if you want to store your message press 1, if you want to listen to your message again press 2, if you want to listen to a previous message press 3, if you want to............ I think you get the gist of it while you listen to all the damn options "the clock is ticking".

Someone you don't even know calls you and leaves a message "the clock is ticking" You call someone and the call drops off, so you call again and their phone rings you say we lost the connection yada,yada........"the clock is ticking"

Last advice here, if you want to get max usage of your "free minutes":rolleyes: it is up to you to know when your billing cycle begins and ends IOW do not assume that it begins on the first day of the month and ends on the last day because chances are it does not so check with your carrier as to the "billing cycle" time frame for your service.

DS

4. wen

wen

in the uk:
    1)if someone calls NO you are not charged.

2)free phone numbers are always charged

3)if you call a number and no one answers.... unless they have voicemail switched on it is a free call.

4) depends who your service provider is whether you pay for messages.

see not everything this side of the water is bad.

wen

5. combsdon

combsdon

1. yes
    2. yes
    3. no
    4. yes

(a man of few words)

6. RandyG

RandyG

and in Ireland:

1) No charge of you receive a call

2) Free phone numbers are free (even in the UK, some providers do not charge for freephone)

3) no charge if no one answers, unless you get voicemail

4)most companies charge when checking for messages.

7. Rikku

Rikku

wen & RandyG,

Its the same in Kenya too!

I think America's cell phone industry is all screwed up...

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61916

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice