ifo, vob, bup

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

SADARIAH

Hello, I have a DVD set that i want to be able to watch, but when I put it into my Xbox all it does is goes to a black screen and becomes almost unresponsive. So I took it out and put it into my computer and nothing, wont play or anything. The computer files say they are IFO, BUP, and VOB's but my movie maker program, microsoft media player and DVD player will not open them.. Help??? is it possible it is a blueray or the disc is corrupt? I can see there is data on the discs and there is not any scratches. I am using a samsung laptop, windows 8 and a xbox 360 black both have plenty of memory available.

Last edited:

lochlomonder

Colin
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
This file structure shows it's set up to play on any DVD player. I would recommend downloading and installing VLC Player, and then following these instructions to play the DVD.

SADARIAH

Thank you for your suggestion. With VLC this is what it tells me when i try to click play or open... "VLC is unable to open the MRL 'dvd:///D:\'. Check the log for details."

Oddba11

Jim
Commercial pressed disc or burn disc?

If it's an actual DVD-Video disc, all of those files mentioned above will be in a folder named VIDEO_TS. However location doesn't matter for a media player such as VLC. Typically, if VLC won't play it, it's corrupt.

SADARIAH

One of the files says blueray... I think that might be the problem.. they are commercial DVDs not burned. There doesn't seem to be a video_ts file specifically but there is the main audio an video folders and then the video folder has about 3 IFO, 2bup, and 5 vob ones. But none are anything I can open

It's the VOB files that contain the actual video. If you view the contents on your PC and right click on any VOB file (pick one that's 1gig) and select open with and then browse to the VLC player executable it should play it. As mentioned earlier there are several DVD types that are specific to zones around the world. If your DVD optical drive or XBox drive is set to USA or another country (they're indicated by numbers) and the DVD's are of a different zone they will not play.
Take a look here for more info:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_region_code
The box the set came in should indicate the region code on it somewhere (sometimes just a circle with a number in it) and you can find out what your region code for your optical drive is by opening the Device Manager in Windows then click on the DVD/CD-Rom drives listing, then select the properties of the drive in question to see the region code tab. Your XBox is probably the same code. For instance if your in Australia and you bought your PC and XBox in Australia your code would be 4. If the DVD set is not code 4 it will not play. There are ways to convert your set to code 9 or all but the best ones are not free. You can also change the code of your drive but for some stupid reason they only allow you to do it 4 times and then it gets locked.

I have bought commercial DVD's that refused to play on my set top player but would play on the PC. What I would do is rip the disc on the PC and then burn a copy, and for some reason that one would play on the set top box. Go figure. It's possible what you have is a bootleg disc, they are quite common and can even end up in brick and mortar stores at times. Another trick I have used is open a commercial disc with Ultraiso and delete all the files leaving only the audio_ts and video_ts folders empty inside. Then I save that as an ISO which is very small. But when opened with Ultraiso it gets identified as a video disc. Then I can copy the contents of the video_ts folder from one disc into Ultraiso's empty video_ts folder and then save that as an ISO with a new name leaving the empty one for the next time. 98 percent of the time it will play fine with menus and the whole shebang. I just looked at mine, it's 736kb and I named it Blank.iso and when opened it has empty audio_ts and video _ts folders in it. I should also mention that when I ripped my commercial DVD's that would not play I had Slysoft Anydvd installed to remove any protections. It's been a while since I had that issue.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts