1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ifsmgr ??????

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Ihatebestbuy, Jan 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ihatebestbuy

Ihatebestbuy Thread Starter

Hi all,

Back again. Can anyone tell me what the error message IFSMGR(01)+00004COD ErrorOD:0028:c00374c1 deals with? I just staarted getting this eror a few days ago, after what seems like ages. I dont know what started this thing again, I dont even know what teh error refers to. I am running Win Me on a compaq 533 with a Radeon ati graphics card, 256mb of memory and a 20gb hard drive. Any help would be appreciated.

Chris

2. Dark Star

Dark Star

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Hmmm. I missed your follow-up here for some reason. But your current post rang a bell.

http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=61365&highlight=ifsmgr

Did you ever take any action on this? He mentions needing a patch for a VIA chipset, do you have one?

Otherwise the drivers for WinME and 98 are supposed to be the same. His instructions are meant to guide you through a clean reinstall. They are not so very clear to me either. But we could give it a shot.

4. Ihatebestbuy

Rog,

I dont have that patch. I went out and bought a new video card. The Ati Radeon one. It seemed to help for awhile, but now I am getting that error message again. That guys post is all foreign to me. I dont understand what he is saying. I am not the most computer literate guy, so I would appreciate any detailed help I can get.
    Do I need to reinstall my network adapter drivers?

Chris

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

We can find the patch if it is in fact appropriate for your motherboard. But we need to know the motherboard model or at least the Compaq model number to verify.

He also mentions running rset8029.exe as a diagnostic. Do you have this file installed? You can do a Find Files for it. If you have it, in what directory is it?

If you don't have it, you can get it from here:

http://www.uni-essen.de/~hrz170/support/realtek.html

It's the first one under Diagnostic Utilities. I'd copy the exe to the c:\> directory then boot to a command prompt: c:\> and run it.

6. Ihatebestbuy

Rog,

I got that program and ran it. on diagnostics, I got a message about internal buffer ram or lan board not working accurately??? any idea what this is?

Also on my setup it lists 10baset,tp/cx auto detect, full duplex not enabled and no boot ram. I can change all theses settings. I just dont know if I should.

How do I find my motherboard type for you? My computer is a compaq presario 7470.

Chris

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Well there is a compaq support page for the model here. And while info in the second link confirms that there is a VIA chipset used on the motherboard, I can't really get enough information from it to decide whether that specific patch applies. Compaq doesn't really seem to provide motherboard information.

http://web14.compaq.com/falco/sp_list.asp#manuals

http://www.compaq.com/athome/support/msgs/7400/spec.html

As for the diagnostic messages, I don't know what they are supposed to mean either, maybe another email to them will get you some clarification. Or if you supply the exact wording, some documentation may be around.

OK, got it: (different site)

http://vcmprocr.compaq.com/pdf/us_con_pdf/tech/tech/7400/7470/7470chipsets.html

http://vcmprocr.compaq.com/pdf/us_con_pdf/tech/tech/index.html

I think he's (the realtek guy) referring to the usb filter patch for mvp3 and mvp4 chipsets referred to here: (but I don't think it applies to WinME

http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=2

8. Ihatebestbuy

Rog,

Thanks for all the info. I dont know what to download, all that stuff is greek to me. I went to the last site you suggested and downloaded a 4 in 1 4.37 driver. The latest driver. Was this all I should download from there?

I really appreciate all the help you have given me so far. It sucks to be a computer moron sometimes.

Chris

9. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Sorry to snow you under with all those links, but I thought they might be helpful in the future even if not now. I just posted them as I was working my way through the research trying to get info on your chipset.

No I don't think that particular update is meant for your chipset which is described as a "northridge/southbridge" hybrid. The patch the Realtek guy was referring to only applied to Win95, Win98 installations, and the problem it was meant to address was supposed to be resolved in WinME.

Is the ifsmgr error continuing, and is it always an OD and not OE error?. When does it occur, any pattern?

You could try restoring the file through the "extract file" option of WinME's msconfig. It's possible it might be corrupted.

10. Ihatebestbuy

Rog,

Its always a Od error. It occurs at different times, surfing teh net, closing down games, sometimes on startup.

How do I extract the file from Me?

Thanks again for all the help so far

Chris

11. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

In WinME there is no System File Checker, however there is an "extract file" option available through msconfig (this is the System Configuration Utility). An MS link here explains in detail how to use it.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q265371

It might also be worthwhile to run scanregw /fix. In WinME, this can be done from Windows, you will be prompted to reboot however. It can be run from the Start>Run command line.

And while it may be too late to use "system restore", this is something you should familiarize yourself with in WinME for any future issues.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q267951

12. Ihatebestbuy

Rog,

I did the scan reg thing. it scanned my reg, shut down and restarted my comp with a white screen that told me my active desktop was disabled because there was a problem. It made me click to restore my desktop, so i dont know if that trick helped any or not. I had a few Msdll errors or something pop up while surfing tonight. I think I will reload internet explorer tonight also.

Chris

13. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

As for Active Desktop, unless you have some reason to keep it, I would disable it. It uses resources and is just generally buggy.

Good luck on the IE reinstall, you could try the Repair Tool first though.

It might help to post a current list of startup programs if these problems continue. An error with Active Desktop on reboot suggest a 3rd party conflict of some kind.

Run msinfo32, click "software environment" and "startup programs", then click edit>select all> edit>copy and paste the copied text in a reply.

14. Ihatebestbuy

Rog,

I disabled my active desktop. Here are the results of my startup log. Not to much there. Do you think Zone alarm could be giving me problems?
    Also I tried to repair IE and it wouldnt let me. It told me I needed to download it again.

ATI Launchpad "c:\program files\ati multimedia\main\launchpd.exe" .DEFAULT HKU\.DEFAULT\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    AtiPTA atiptaxx.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    MiniLog c:\windows\system\zonelabs\minilog.exe -service All Users HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    Rain c:\rain\rain.exe -amdk63d .DEFAULT Startup
    SystemTray systray.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    ZoneAlarm c:\progra~1\zonela~1\zoneal~1\zoneal~1.exe -nopopup All Users Common Startup

15. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

You're right, sure isn't much there. I wouldn't be surprised if ZoneAlarm had a role to play, particularly if it is the most recent version.

No antivirus program?

And where's scanregistry, you're not leaving that unchecked are you?

You could disable Zonealarm for a bit to test, but I wouldn't do it for long unless you are using a dialup connection and your IP is changed with each reconnect.

But it rather sounds like you have a corrupt IE installation, so that could be the real source of things.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65446

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice