1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

igfx error, comp screen black on startup

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by huggz, Oct 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. huggz

huggz Thread Starter

Hi,
    I was surfing the net with my Gateway laptop that uses an intel graphics card. An error would pop up saying that igfx was not responding but has recovered and the screen would flash black. Then it would stay black and I would shut it down and restart. Now on startup the gateway screen pops up but after the initial screen it is black still. I had tried to install the update for the graphics card but after the computer restarted the screen was black. What can I do at this point?

Thank you

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Will it start in safe mode? Or last good known configuration?

3. huggz

huggz Thread Starter

No, it gives me the option to start in safe mode but it turns blank after I select and enter it.

4. ~Candy~

How about last good known? Or do you have the recovery console on the boot up menu?

5. huggz

huggz Thread Starter

there is no option for last known. now on startup sometimes the gateway page shows up, sometimes it does not.

6. ~Candy~

Can you boot to a command prompt? Is that a choice on the F8 menu?

7. huggz

huggz Thread Starter

Yes there is an option, this also yields a blank screen after a list of white files moves vertically up the screen, as if it is going to setup. The blank screen is a different tint than when the computer is totally off. Could it be that the video card is shot?

8. ~Candy~

So, it never really finishes and gets to a prompt? Or it does finish, and you can't see anything anymore?

9. huggz

huggz Thread Starter

It does finish I believe but the next screen it goes to is blank, but a different tint of black. I can tell it is going to another screen but after this nothing happens.

10. ~Candy~

It's probably time to take it to the repair shop.

11. huggz

huggz Thread Starter

Yes, I am just wondering if I should just buy a new video card and spare the expense of Circuit City telling me the video card is dead for $100. I nearly disassembled my laptop but after taking off the keyboard, audio cover, and parts of the screen I was at a standstill. Thank you for your input in this!

12. ~Candy~

A video card on a laptop is not replaceable :(

13. huggz

huggz Thread Starter

oh no, does that mean it is integrated in the motherboard then and I must get a new one? Forgive me I am not very good with computers. I have a gateway m6817 that has a GM965 Express chipset from intel. Would you advise Circuit City, mom & pop computer shop, or a friend that is good with computers to install what I need? Thank you!

14. ~Candy~

I wouldn't send my worst enemy to Circuit City, BestBuy, etc. for computer repairs.

Friend good with LAPTOP computers first, then mom and pop.

15. huggz

huggz Thread Starter

Ok, thanks. I finally figured out how to access the Advanced Boot screen, by pressing F8. I tried Last Known, didn't work. Then I tried an option that said it would repair drivers I believe and check out the disks. It had trouble with the C, saying it could not identify a volume consisting of a long list of letters. The next screen was a blue screen that was up for barely 2 seconds. It said systemroot\system32\config\software was corrupted and would not work. Then it would restart the computer.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!