1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Ignorant Windows guy needs help selecting an iPad.

Discussion in 'Apple Mobile Devices' started by Alex Ethridge, Jun 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

I have been servicing Windows systems since 1994; but, I know nothing about Apple. I've never even used an Apple phone. I know how to spec a Windows system when I need one. I've assembled many a box myself; but, I am ignorant of Apple.

I want to select an iPad, preferably the latest model, one with the 10.5-inch screen, 256 SSD. The 12-incher seems too large for me. Looking at the specs on NewEgg, they all list the size of the storage media; but, I don't see anything about memory. Isn't that important?

I definitely want to be able to run that Notability program.

I will be doing some light photo editing from time to time and I have cameras that create 12-, 16-, 20- and 36-meg RAW files; but, I'll be doing that only occasionally. Most of my photo editing will be on my Windows desktop.

Aside from that, ordinary internet/e-mail and word processing, not much else.

Tell me some things I need to know please.

This one seems OK to me but what do I know.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Edit - i moved to the apple mobile forum, you were in the Apple Mac
    And ipad is not the same as an apple mac.
    in case you are reading up on apple mac and thinking its the same as the ipad its not
    Apple Mac will run operating system software called OSX and at a price Windows
    Ipads run operating system software called IOS

with the ipad hardware you have little choice
    the 10.5" will offer you different prices just for the storage

so if you want a 10.5" with 256GB then you only have 1 choice
    unlike PCs where you can choose, CPU , graphics , number of USBs etc etc

each year a new model will be released and so you may have a choice of various version of the ipad - so be careful on that
    i know people who have seen an ipad for a bargin price of £200 and purchased only to find its a very old generation 2 model and wont run any IOS software later than version 5 - we are at 11 , soon to goto IOS 12 in September ish time frame

i think the 2017 was the last model released by apple - Not 100% on that - i'll check

then you will see a price difference if the ipad supports a SIM card and has cellular capability as well as wifi
    and you would need a SIM card and mobile data package to use it

the link looks OK

sorry no idea, is this on the Apple App store ?
    edit
    it is on the app store
    https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/notability/id360593530?mt=8

i dont think its will support RAW unless you can get a photo editor that runs on IOS and supports RAW format

I know photoshop elements will run on OSX - the apple PC / Laptop software , as i have installed on those
    but not sure about IOS - the ipad software
    EDIT
    Adobe lightroom works for ipad and supports raw format
    https://www.imore.com/how-import-your-dslr-or-other-cameras-photos-your-iphone-or-ipad

windows = multi brand PCs
    OSX = Apple hardware ONLY - and at a cost will also run windows
    IOS = Ipad / iphone

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  3. Alex Ethridge

Thanks, I didn't know Mac and iPad OS were different. Also, the other information you offered helps me understand the iPad better. Looks to me like configuration choices for their iPad system is very limited.

I'm still vacillating between an iPad and a Windows tablet. In the Windows tablet, there is nothing in a 10.5-inch+/- screen with an i7 processor, or even i5. I have to go to 12-inch+. Don't like that. With the iPad, I get the 10.5-inch but I'm in a whole new world with software purchases ahead of me.

Hmm.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    your welcome,

i'm slowly getting fedup with windows not working and issues
    had Level 3 trying to sort out an outlook issue i have - and various people with W10 / W8.1 issues after update
    So a very very personal opinion Do NOT buy a windows tablet , i would only really buy apple ipad - i have an android tablet and phone and plan to get rid of those
    anyway :) :)

Mac are Desktop and laptops running OSX and 3-4 times the price - I almost purchased a macbook pro last thursday , for £1,400 !!!!!! after a long coffee and think and discussion with other half, only to find they were out of stock !!!!!!!!!

Ipad is the generation version ipad 2,3,4, etc Air , 2017
    https://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/ipad/ipad-buying-guide-3463518/
    choice is

Screen Size
    Storage Size
    Cellular
    Colour

possibly
    it comes with office software

Pages - like word and outputs to word if required
    Numbers = spreadsheet and saves as excel
    Keynote = powerpoint

and these are free .....
    and very good

You may then need an Airprint compatable printer to be able to print from the ipad
    and possible pay for icloud storage if you want things to appear on the desktop/laptop windows PC automatically
    all work well , except photo app albums do not come over to windows

5. Alex Ethridge

I just ordered this so I am marking this thread solved.

6. Alex Ethridge

I just ordered this so I am marking this thread solved.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!