Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

IIS 6.0 and Win Server 2003

578 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  hatlestad 
#1 ·
I couldn't find a forum on Windows Server 2003, but since IIS 6.0 can be run in XP, thought I'd try this forum.

I need to setup an ftp site for my business and am having troubles doing so. I have IIS 6.0 installed on Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition. For the time being I just created a bunch of individual FTP Sites (on different ports, stupid yes I know) for each user. The way the business is set up, certain users need access to all folders within the root, other users need access to first level sub-folders within the root, and other users need access to second level sub-folders within the root.

I want to combine all my single FTP Sites into 1 FTP Site so that only 1 port is open and whoever logs into my FTP site uses the same port as everyone else (safer for the server). The problem comes with Permissions because I need to block the second level sub-folder users from the root directory.

I tried Isolating users with/without the Active Directory setting, but from what I've read on the internet that seems to be more for local computers, like actual employees within the company and have scripts running when they logon to their computer. Well I have clients that don't logon to my computers, they just need to download and view files from my server.

Anyone have any ideas at all on how I should go about this?

See less See more
#2 ·
FTP users should have the same access rights as far as files and folders as long as you are using Windows authentication for their FTP sessions. You could also set up a group in AD just for FTP users and assign access that way to the FTP root and sub-directories.

#3 ·
The problem is that there are some users I don't want to have access to the folders above them. So if this is the root:

C:\FTP\Root

And a user has access to this folder:

C:\FTP\Root\Employee\Client1

I don't want the user who can access the Client1 folder to be able to access the Root or Employee folder. So if I give them full access to Client1 folder, but deny access to the Root and Employee folder, they wont get access to the Client1 folder because the parent folder is the trump card when it comes to No Access.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.