Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

IIS User Authenication Problem

634 views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  Damonc 
#1 ·
I have a virtual directory setup on my server that is password protected, however I cant get any username or password to be accepted.. When I try to access the page the username/password dialog box comes up and I enter in my username/password - However it rejects that and then puts the domain name with a \ before the username and then if I resubmit it I still cant login.

I used to run IIS under XP home (I know its dodgy) with no login probs, but since i have upgraded to XP Pro to run IIS properly I cant get the logins to work. I have created the local user account etc etc, but I cant get it to work. it just does the domain\ before the username after the first attempt.

I have the security setup properly on the directory itsself so I know its not that, I have tried different user accounts but nothing works. In the IIS Console I've got the virtual directory setup with annonomous access turned off, and only the Intergrated Windows Authentication turned on.. (Also cant get it to show the proper Relam name unless I take the intergrated authentication off, then I get a different login box and nothing works on that either)

Any Suggestions? - I've tried that iisPassword program, seems good, but cant protect a virtual directory (which I need)

See less See more
#2 ·
OK this is the problem I'm talking about.. I've kinda made a bit of progress.

Heres what I've done.
in the IIS manager, I've left the virtual directory as anonymous access, then on the folder its self I have changed the NTFS security properties, so only certain users have access (not the account that IIS uses for anonymous access), the login box now comes up so I can login, but then once inside that area there is a 2nd secured section (different username/password required) which is where this box appears (see attached file), or I get this straight away if I try and access the site from my own machine.. e.g.

Accessing From Client Machine

--URL-->Username and password requested--> login ok-->inside secured area-->link to 2nd secured area-->username and password requested--> login fails (comes up same as attachment)

Accessing From Server (using domain name not 'localhost')

--URL->Username and Password requested-->Login fails (comes up same as attachment)

all I need to know is why it keeps doing the computername\username or domainname\username and failing the login.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.