1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

? Illegal Download

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by grizzly, Feb 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. grizzly

grizzly Thread Starter

something is trying to download an update to my pc as we speak. i don't have any idea what or who it is. it won't let me click or double click or right click on it. it's icon is yellow and shaped like a shield with a black exclamation point in the middle. it is moving very slowly. the balloon

i have norton and windows updates. but neither of those will download anything without letting me know first. this first appeared while downloading Nero or when i was at the IBM site (not sure which)

does anyone know what or who this is? i have no idea what to do at this point. i can't get rid of it.

task manager has these things moving at the time of the download:

csrss.exe
    lsass.exe
    lxbfbmon.exe
    svchost.exe
    explorer.exe

thanks

2. 1069

The items running in the background all seem to check out - all MS based except for lxbfbmon.exe which is related to your printer ( I think ) Lexmark?

3. llsee

llsee

First Name:
    Larry
    If you have upgraded to SP2, the little yellow shield is caused by the Windows Update Function. It means that there are Windows security updates available that you have either not downloaded or have downloaded and not installed. In the Windows security center in the control panel, you have checked either "Download updates for me, but let me choose when to install them" or "Notify me, but don't automatically download..."

If you have automatic updates fully enabled, you would see a green shield with a check mark. If the automatic update function is fully disabled, there would be a red shield with an X in it.

4. grizzly

grizzly Thread Starter

i understand. thank you.

what i don't understand is, why?, if i picked "notify me first to download AND when to install, why would they start without letting me know? I haven't downloaded anything and haven't not installed anything. i attribute it to a windows glitch or what another person said once on this forum "windows intermittent features".

thanks

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/330019

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice