1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Illegal immigration

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by plschwartz, Jan 31, 2003.

?

what should we do about illegals?

Poll closed Feb 10, 2003.
  1. Increase efforts to deport them

13 vote(s)
    76.5%
  2. Allow work permits w/o citizenship for children born here

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  3. Work permits with citizenship for children born here

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  4. Maintain current system

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Amnesty and citizenship for all Mexicans

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Amnesty and citizenship for all current illegals

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Advertisement
  1. plschwartz

plschwartz Thread Starter

INS: 7 million illegal immigrants in United States
    Mexicans make up nearly 70 percent of total, figures show

From Terry Frieden
    CNN
    Friday, January 31, 2003 Posted: 8:11 PM EST (0111 GMT)
    Mexicans make up nearly 70 percent of total, figures show

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- More than a million illegal immigrants have slipped into the United States in the past few years, raising the total in the country to 7 million, the Immigration and Naturalization Service said Friday.

The vast majority of the illegal immigrants are from Mexico, officials said.

The numbers are based on census figures from 2000 and the agency's own statistics. They are the first official government figures on illegal immigration released since 1996.

The figures show that between October 1996 and January 2000, the number of illegal immigrants grew from about 5.8 million to about 7 million, an increase of more than 300,000 annually.

The proportion of the illegal immigrants who are Mexican has increased to nearly 70 percent from less than 60 percent, the INS said.

Although California is home to the most undocumented immigrants, Arizona, Georgia and North Carolina have the greatest rate of increase, the figures showed.

Justice Department spokesman Jorge Martinez said the latest figures are believed to be more accurate than previous ones because they reflect new methods used to determine trends in the entry and departure of undocumented residents.

2. cybergum

cybergum

About a fourth (if not more) of the people who live in my town are illegal Mexican immigrants. I've got nothing against them, but the only real employer around here takes advantage of them for cheap labor. Totally by coincidence, I'm sure, the owner of that business also owns many of the housing complexes that they live in, and charge a rediculous rent. So almost all of the money they make goes toward rent. But its more than they'd make in Mexico, so it seems like a great deal to them, I guess.

3. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten

First Name:
    Jim
    I've had my fill of this topic in another thread- no comment.

4. jimi

jimi

1st off then why comment "no comment" post count junkie it seems to be;)

next we only pay by check, or direct deposit - no under the table stuff and have to send the SSN of all new employee's getting a check to the SSA, this is all automated, no skin off our noses, they just can't get another check igf all isn't kosher, this is nation wide so i guess CF this employer is doing something under the table - i suggest you F them, unless you work for them.

btw i have no problem with someone looking to better their lives, wheather it be legal or not, let me know the next time you live in a 3rd world country and disagree, i don't now but have, so unless you have, as an adult, you have no weight in this argument

5. Mulderator

Mulderator

This poll will end up overwhelmingly to deport--all the polls due. The problem is the liberals won't let you do anything to address the problem. In California, the state overwhemingly passed an initiative to deny illegal aliens benefits such as unemployment, welfare, etc. That was basically nullified by liberal judges.

The latest--Grey Out Davis signed a bill saying that illegal aliens cannot be denied in-state tuition at colleges. In other words, they are here illegally (a felony), and the moron says that the state still has to provide them tax subsidized college education so long as they meet the state residency requirements.

How the hell can you meet the state residency requirements when you are here illegally? How is that possible legally, logically or any other way? This is a great example of what liberals do when they run things.

Can someone explain something to me? Why can felons not be denied the same rights that law abiding citizens have? If someone has pot in their possesion (also a felony depending on the amount), we can legally incarcertate them but if you enter the country illegally, we can't even stop you from getting state subsidized college education or from collecting welfare? :confused: :confused:

6. plschwartz

plschwartz Thread Starter

If also occurs to me how really stupid all the controls at border crossings are, when all those mexicans are getting across, all tose drugs are getting in, but honest people are getting hassled by border guards. 300000 illegals a year:(

7. Jonesiegirl

Jonesiegirl Guest

"Illegal" being the operative word ... right? Therein lies your answer.

8. Wino

Wino

Pot, BAD; illegal aliens, GOOD? Because of Compassionate Conservatives? the INS is screwed up? our immigration laws are skewed and arbitrary?

Since the former USSR doesn't need their 'Iron Curtain' any longer, we could set it up on the 2000 mile Mexico border. And maybe we could lease some of the Chinese 'Bamboo Curtain' to protect our Gulf & Eastern seaboard. Or maybe hire all the ex-east German border guards and station them on all our borders - they did a pretty good job of keeping people in and out.

I am presuming that your question was a rhetorical one and you weren't expecting an answer to an impossible question. We have similar problems in Texas, with no solutions in hand for the present or future. Illegal aliens are over taxing our hospitals, schools and courts. It's the same as many Federal Mandates to the States, without funding, laying the expense on legal citizens - difficult to understand, when it's the Feds job to stem the flow, but they seem indifferent or incapable to do so. Personally, blame both parties (Rep/Dem) - they both want the votes after amnesty!:rolleyes:

9. Rockn

Rockn

Close the borders we're full!! But as long as there are liberal welfare and immigration laws there will always be someone looking for a handout and a free ride. Our little corner of the frozen north has quite a colorful population, Somali, Hmong, Mexican. I have no problem with someone wanting a better life as long as they can pay taxes and live by the same rules as everyone else.

10. pyritechips

First Name:
    Jim
    "no comment" had a meaningful purpose- I'm not about to rehash something that was just hashed to death recently in another thread. If somebody wants to read or post they can do so there- this thread is redundant.

"post count junkie"??? No comment!
    :mad:

11. LadyLisa

LadyLisa

I couldn't vote on this poll as there are far more than six options on 'what to do about illegals'. People can't always be put into certain categories.

There are a lot of illegal aliens in this country, but I really doubt they even rate on the scale as welfare recipients.
    People come here to make a better life, they are usually turned down if they go to INS and apply for legal status so they have to live in fear of being deported. The sad thing is that most of them would probably work harder and contribute more to society than most of the low life (already citizens) they are being compared to.

I would say the majority of people don't know what it's like, after living in a place a number of years, to be told you have so many day's to pack up and leave, not just your home but the country.

What really irk's me is that the same people who's parents, grandparents, or greatgrandparents were themselves immigrant's are the same one's that are closing the door to other's.

Unless you're a Native American(Indian) then you must have some immigrant/alien(legal or illegal) in you somewhere.

Lisa(legal alien)!!

12. pyritechips

First Name:
    Jim
    2 personal examples on how newly arrived immigrants "work" the system.

I Chinese girl I worked with was intelligent, good worker, a pleasure to have in Canada. But being in Canada for less then 6 months, she and her husband had almost no friends and no relatives. Her next door neighbour befriended her. He was in Canada less than a year. One day he told her, "Canada is great! Here's what I did and you can do it too. Work for 6 months then quit. Tell the unemployment office they descriminated against you and they will give you money for doing nothing!"

She was shocked and so was I. I wanted to report the _____ but the chances of making a charge stick would have been slim. Besides she would not say his name or address.

- - -

To those of you that are not aware, I have a chronic medical condition that leaves me unable to work. Just before I was forced to quit my job I asked a long time employee (27 years service) why the company didn't offer a decent benefits package. She said that, just a few years earlier, people newly arived in Canada made up about 80% of the work force. The company had a comprehensive and free benefits package. The new employee would work the 3 month waiting period, the get full dental service, vision, medical woes, etc, fully charged to the benefits program, then promptly quit. That person would tell a friend or a relative what a great deal it was and soon the benefit program was overwhelmed. The company rightfully cancelled the program and in its place set up a new one wherein the benefit package was paid for in full by the employee. So when I came along, worked there for 5+ years and needed legitimate medical coverage due to a condition that was aggravated by my work, I couldn't afford the package and therefore had no coverage when I needed it.

My examples are personal ones. To you they may be merely anecdotal and without merit. So be it. I can't make you beliebe it and frankly I don't care if you do. But they are not anecdotal to me, and they are mere examples of an extensive and mostly invisible problem.

13. combsdon

combsdon

.......careful Lisa...ya might end up being labeled a liberal....:eek:
    (I was going to say something very similar) ;)

14. Rhettman5.1

Rhettman5.1

Sorry Lisa and Don, but that seems silly to me !
    1 500 ppl are stranded on a Island
    2 A boat shows up with 5 crew members
    3 The boat will hold 100 ppl

so, should we just tell the crew to sail on as it's their boat ?
    shall we sail with the 95 and crew, or should we just let all 500 on and sink the whole darn thing ?

Perhaps if so many People are struggling in Mexico, we should help them THERE, instead of here !! ... Darn, got sucked into a political thread :D I'm outa here !!...Rhett

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116356

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice