1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Illegal operation errors on everything!

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by xhigherx, Nov 30, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xhigherx

xhigherx Thread Starter

Hello

My question is this...Whenever my friend starts her computer, she gets illegal operation errors for every program that loads...we can't even get into My Computer, when we click on it we get an Illegal Operation Error for windows explorer. Even when we click on Control Panel we get an illegal operation (explorer again) I ran the defrag. and it said it could not continue because there were too many errors on the C: drive. So we ran the Scan Disk, it said that it fixed what needed to be fixed, then we restarted the computer and still are getting Illegal Operations for every start program and the windows explorer. Can someone please shed some light on this? I suggested reinstalling windows as an option but to find out, the people that sold her the computer did NOT give her a Windows 98 disk, so I am at my wits end. Any help, suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated...as her computer is useless, even her AOL wont load. Thanks in advance!!

2. rkselby98

rkselby98

In C:\windows\options\cabs there should be a setup.exe file. IF so you can reinstall windows.

Go to my web site and copy the information on how to get the product key for the installation and write it down, windows will probably ask for it.

http://www.rselby.com/Windows.html#54

After you have it written down go to the c:\windows\options\cabs\setup.exe and double click on it and see if windows will reinstall doing it this way.

If not I wouldn't know what else to suggest.

Good luck

3. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Could you please post the exact error messages you are receiving?

Does she have a restore disk? If not, she needs to go back to the people who sold her that computer and get the disk. She has a right to it. Either a Restore Disk or a Windows install disk.

Go here
    http://home.earthlink.net/~rmbox/Reticulated/Only_IE.html

and Download the unzipped version of
    EXEfix08.com Run it.
    See if that lets her start programs. If so, then the next step would be a thorough up to date Virus scan. Also have her download Startuplog.com from the same place. Copy and paste the text into a post here if possible after running the exe fix.

4. xhigherx

xhigherx Thread Starter

thank you for your suggestions, I will have to put the things you mentioned to download on a disk and take them to her since she can not even get online due to the errors. I am unable at this time to tell you what the errors exactly say, I need to write them down and then I can let you know. She gets about 5 or 6 Illegal Operation errors just loading windows for her yahoo pager, aol instant messenger, and so on. I am going to go there today and see if I cant reinstall windows for her and go from there. No suggestions on what causes such a thing? Virus? thank you again for all your help!!

5. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Download and run AdAware to see if there are any Ad related programs installed.

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

Also, when you get the Illegal Operation messages, click on the Details button and post back the contents.
    Eg:
    Explorer caused an invalid page fault in kernel32.dll @ 0028:BFFE7dF9

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60237

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice