illegal operation performed

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Paul Little

computer 2....i was downloading AOL on our second puter and when it restarted the 3rd time it said an illegal operation was performed and will not let me into windows...even when i go into safe mode i get the same message and i cant do a thing with my puter...is there anything i can do without dumping all my information that i have on my system????

if your using win98 boot to the dos prompt and type scanreg /restore.
Choose a registry from before the install and restore it

When you run scanreg /restore from a DOS prompt you will see a window with 4 available registries. Use the arrow keys to select one which predates the install.

It's probably a longshot, but it sometimes works for install related errors.

If it doesn't work, try this, from a command prompt enter:

cd windows
edit system.ini

replace the shell=Explorer.exe line with:

shell=winfile.exe

press alt+F to access the save and exit menu.

Ctrl-alt-del to reboot to Winfile

Here you will have access to you programs at least.

Have a look at this link for things to try there:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q249/1/91.ASP

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online