1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Illegal Operation

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by jiminee, Jan 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jiminee

jiminee Thread Starter

I am running windows 98se and i recently upgraded my ram from 32/66 to 128/100. It posted the new memory and ran fine for 30 minutes then it locked up once and after rebooting i was getting the Illegal operation message

explorer caused an invalid page fault in module wininet at 0167:702134cc

fault Msimn comct32.dll 0166:bfb78fcb

fault Kernel 32.dll at 0167:bff88ecc
    any Ideas?

P.S. I ran the repair faulty files in ms explorer after the first fault

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Welcome to TSG, jiminee.

Have you recently installed any new programs prior to receiving the errors?

Did you run the IE Repair Tool in Add/Remove Programs > Internet Explorer > Remove > Repair? And did it complete without any problems? What did it report?

It might help for us to see a post of your current startups. You can show that by downloading, unzipping and running the StartupList application from the site below. Then copy/paste the results to a reply here.

http://www.lurkhere.com/~nicefiles/

3. jiminee

jiminee Thread Starter

Rollin' Rog thanks for replying

No new programs install, but i did upgrade my memory and i think its mismatched

I ran IE repair and no problems were found
    I tried downloading from the site that was attached but it seems as if there was a file missing. Iam still trying to download that complete application.

I have reinstalled my old memory and error messages have disappeared.

Thanks Jiminee

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Well it sure sounds like the ram was the culprit then.

Remember you will need a ZIP program to unzip files with a .zip extension

And if you don't use the right click "save target as" method of downloading you get a "program.exe" or other type missing file message if windows tries to open it automatically (it doesn't know what to use)

The download is very short and only takes a second or two.

If you don't have Winzip, you can get the "evaluation" version here. It does not expire.

http://www.winzip.com/download.cgi?home

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115817

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice