1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Illegal operations

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Izzyblueye, Jan 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Izzyblueye

Izzyblueye Thread Starter

I've reinstalled win98 and got 2 popups reading, Hwinfo has performed illegal operation ,I closed window and then when prompted to put in product code it would not except it.I'm getting a popup reading,Msgrv has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down I cannot go anyfarther . Can anyone HELP?...PLEASE.....Thank-you ...

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Welcome to TSG, izzyblueye.

Was the ProductKey you used for the CD from which the reinstall was made?

How did you do the reinstall, from a boot disk or just from within Windows?

You may need to disable startup programs and remove unnecesary hardware.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q188881

3. Izzyblueye

Thanks for the input Rollin Rog. In answer to your question about am I using the right Keycode the answer is...yes. I reinstalled Windows 98 with my recovery disk that came with the comp from Packard Bell.I keep getting a popup also saying it can't find Win.com .Anymore suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks !

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Try booting to a command prompt by pressing and holding the ctrl key during restart. You should get a startup menu with numbered options. Select "command prompt". At the c:> prompt enter:

dir /s win.com

Is it found? Note the file size (or sizes) and compare with that shown in this article. Win.com should be in the Windows directory.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q136630

Does that recovery disk give you the ability to extract specific files? Did it format the drive first, or just overinstall?

PB systems, from what I've seen, can be difficult to deal with in situations like this and you may need someone with specific experience with it to know what is going on.

The lack of a proper path statement can also cause the error message.

What happens if, from the c:> prompt you enter each line:

cd windows
    win

does windows try to load, or do you still get the message "cannot find win.com" ?

5. Izzyblueye

First of all Thanks so much Rollin for hanging in here with me...much appreciated ! Ok ...now I rebooted holding down the ctrl key .I did get a c:>prompt.I typed in dir/swin.com...I got Invalid switch-win.com.ThenI typed in cd windows and I got Bad Command or file name. Then I typed in win and got a flashing cursor and then the user info window popped up so,I entered my name then I got the window for the product keycode,but when I put the product keycode in I get a popup saying Msgsrv has caused an illegal operation and will be shut down...if problem persist contact vender.I've got 3 different PD Recovery disk and each one the Quick Recovery section is shaded so, there's no such thing as doing a Quick Recovery. Any other suggestions? I appreciate ! Have a Great Day ! I'm wondering if I could possibly put the win.com back in there? Just a tho't. Thanks

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

you may have entered the command wrong there must be a space after dir and after the s

dir /s win.com

also try:

cd c:\windows
    win

It sounds like win.com is there when you entered "win" or you would have gotten an error message right there.

I don't know what's happening with the msgsvr error; they are often associated with other running programs causing conflicts.

Have you tried choosing Safe Mode from the Boot Menu?

Here is a list of documented msgsvr32 errors, see if yours is similar to any listed. If there is a details tab on the message, click
    that for more info.

http://www.generation.net/~hleboeuf/ermsgs32.htm

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000450.htm

If you can get to the Windows directory in DOS, it might help to delete your passwords, which can be a source of msgsvr errors.

Try this command from c:\windows>

del *.pwl

by the way, sometimes Windows gets installed into a "new" directory whether you specify it or not. From the c:> prompt just enter:

dir /p

does Windows show up in the directory listing? Are there more than one

also try:

dir windows /p

the /p switch will pause the screen, hit a key to continue. You may see win.com in there

7. Izzyblueye

Hello rollin ! Me again ! Ok ...I typed in @ C:\>dir /s win.com I got a message saying Volume in drive c has no label Volume Serial Number is 1135-123B Then I typed in C:\Windows and got....WIN COM 24,791 05-11-98 8:01P 1 file (s) 24,791bytes Total files listed: 1 file(s) 0 dir(s) 5,o39.14 MB free When I typed cd C:\windows win I got Too many parameters-winand then started showing all of the files which there was about 30 of them. Thank you !

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

It looks like you are hit and miss with your DOS commands, but win.com is indeed there.

When I give DOS commands on two different lines, it means each must be entered separately, not on the same line or you get "too many parameters" or other errors. Try again, from the c:> prompt, enter:

cd c:\windows
    win

After you enter 'win', windows should try to load. Here is where you probably get the ProductKey error. You might want to try deleting password lists before entering 'win', with the command:

del *.pwl

(there is a space after 'del')

And have you tried selecting the "safe mode" option to restart Windows, from the startup menu? (that's safe mode without command prompt)

9. Izzyblueye

Hi Rollin ! Ok I typed in cd C:\windows but can't drop down on next line to type in win. The cursor stays on the same line.I did get a popup that said Windows is bypassing your start up files (Like we didn't know that ...right ?...Ha ha !When the comp is loading its showing the driver info. I tried loading in safe mode also and then shut down from the startup menu to restart and it wouldn't restart. I believe thats when I got the message about windows is bypassing the files. Have a Great Day !

10. Izzyblueye

Hi Rollin ! Me again ! Ok the the whole message reads : MSGSRV 32 caused a general protection fault in module PIDGEN.DLL @ 0001:00005f2c.Does that help ? Thanks

11. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

12. Izzyblueye

13. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

14. Izzyblueye

Rollin...I put in the info and current Date came up as...07-13-2051 then I typed in todays date which is 01-17-2003....I got Invalid date...Enter new Date. When I did the recovery I got a popup that read : encounted problems while doing the recovery but didn't say what problems.......Thank You !

15. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

You mean Windows loaded?

I gave you another link above if that helps

I think it just wants 2 digit entries such as

01/17/03

This can also be done in BIOS setup if necessary, I think that's where most did it in the past.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113391

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice