Illegal operations

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

pkowbell

alot of my programs give me a "this program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down" window. it does not happen all of the time, and not on all programs. Most notably itnernet explorer, my dial up connection and wordpad. I just got this pc 2nd hand from a friend and am a bigginer. please help

Welcome to the board pkowbell.

When you get an "illegal operation" message like that, be sure to click on the "details" tab and copy or note the modules and error addresses. We don't need all of it, just the part that says something like "Explorer caused an invalid page fault in module kernel32.dll at such and such an address...."

The first thing you need to do, if you haven't already, is run an updated antivirus scan. If you don't have a scanner, you can do an online one here:

http://housecall.antivirus.com/pc_housecall/

In the event that you do some virus cleaning and find yourself unable to run executable (.exe) programs afterwards, download and double click on the exefix08 program you can get from here:

http://home.earthlink.net/~rmbox/Reticulated/Only_IE.html

pkowbell

hey! Thanx for your help!

The warning window reads: explorer caused an invalid page fault in moduel TAPI.DLL at 0014:00007638
and then a whole bunch of numbers. I got this pc second hand for free so other tech support is minimal so again thanx for your help!!

pkowbell

'95 but i'm working on getting a copy of '98. it seems to be hard to find!!!

I don't have a cool sig. but i'll make one up

ahem
Tech guys are great
if I knew them I would give them cake

OK I tried

thanx

It's a rather obscure error that could be anything from modem drivers to Dialup Networking. If we knew exactly what caused it, we could probably lead you through a fix. But guess work is likely to cause more problems with this.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online