1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

illegal sign too often {usb and printer drivers}

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by youngshd, Jan 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. youngshd

youngshd Thread Starter

Our school was given a Citus computer loaded with Windows 98/2. Originally the computer did not have USB ports, but were added by the donor just befor he delivered it.

The problem: Even though the USB ports seem live (they start the wizard as soon as I plug in a printer or midiman, the wizard either shuts down before the drivers are fully loaded (illegal operation), or they finish loading and the flash a sign that says there is a problem and I should re-load. No amount of re-loads works. What is wrong with these add-on USB ports?

Thanks

2. esdxc37

esdxc37

are the usb ports enabled in the bios
    if it was added after the computer was put out of use he might have disabled them to free up resources and forgoten to enable them again
    on start up you need to press delete or f2 to enter the bios and check
    sorry cant be any more helpful without the computer type, motherboard and all other relevant info

3. youngshd

youngshd Thread Starter

Can't load HP drivers or complete other functions because "illegal" sign shuts me down. Details are HP2GLU03 cause invalid page fault in module HPZGLU03.EXE at 0167:0040375C

Have reloaded Windows 98/2 and tried other fixes to no avail. Please help.

Don

4. Gnosisless

Gnosisless

I didn't have much luck finding any info on hpzglu03.exe, although it seems to be a driver for the 930 series of HP printers (and probably others).

Make sure you've run a recent virus scan and have run AdAware from http://www.lavasoftusa.com .

Then try renaming that file (hpzglu03.old or something) and reinstalling the most recent drivers. Go here:

http://www.hp.com/cposupport/printers/support_doc/bpd01313.html

to get the latest drivers for your model.

If this doesn't work, when you write back, include what HP product you have, whether it's USB or parallel (or scsi if a scanner), the "exact" text of the error message, and what you're doing on the PC when it happens (e.g. booting up, trying to print, trying to scan.

You might also want to try emailing HP support.

5. columbo

columbo

Hi,

Try going into Run, then msconfig. Click on the Win.ini tab, and expand the Windows folder. Click to remove the checkmark besides the Load, Run, and Nullport lines. Then save the configuration changes, and restart your machine.

*FYI- This method is recommended by HP to solve a problem with receiving that error during install of a USB printer.

Hope it helps,

Columbo :)

6. guru2

guru2 Guest

it could be a ram problem too. if you have 64meg of ram try upgrading to 128 as it's pretty cheap at the moment. if you already have plenty of ram disregard this post.

7. Gnosisless

Gnosisless

I'm assuming when you ran AdAware (per your email), you also ran a current virus scan? There's a free online one that people say is pretty good at http://housecall.antivirus.com .

I can't find anything on the files you listed. The Hewlett Packard site has 35,000 documents for "invalid page fault", but doesn't list a thing for either of those files. A search on google.com turned up zilch. If you're sure the file names you sent are exactly right, I really don't know what to tell you to do from here.

With any luck, someone else will have a more specific solution, but this is what I would do in your shoes:

1. Go to Control Panel, Printers, and right-click the HP icon. Select Properties.
    On the DETAILS tab, under Spool Settings, make sure the spool data format is set to EMF.
    Reboot and see if it helps.
    (this is really not likely to be the problem since you say it happens at boot up in your email, but it can't hurt to look)

2. Try unplugging the printer from the USB port (it is USB, right?), booting into safe mode (press F8 repeatedly as the computer boots, then choose Safe Mode from the DOS menu), starting device manager (right-click on My Computer, select Properties, then click the Device Manager tab), and deleting the HP printer from the list. Delete any other printer entries you see, assuming the HP is your only printer. Then go into Control Panel / Printers, and make sure the printer is deleted from there, and that there are no extra entries in there you don't need.

Then uninstall or rename the drivers (the files that were giving you error messages that start with HP), reboot, plug in the printer, and let Windows recognize it again. That *should* cause Windows to install new drivers from the cab files. If Windows doesn't see the printer when you plug it back in and reboot, go back to Control Panel / Printers, click Add New Hardware, and follow the prompts.

You really should download the driver set from HP again, if you haven't, and use the Have Disk option instead of the Windows drivers.

3. Call HP tech support, do your mandatory 30+ minutes of Muzak Hell and see what they recommend.

4. The final thing to do will be to run msconfig, go to your startup tab, and uncheck ALL of the NON-WINDOWS startup entries except for anything HP-related. Then reboot, and see if the problem occurs. If it doesn't, begin rechecking the entries one by one until the problem reappears, and then you'll know which one (if any) of the startup files is conflicting with HP. If you need help on which startup files to uncheck, list what you have on that startup tab here, and I or someone else will take a look.

Good luck!

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Hi youngshd. As this appears to be the same basic problem which you have posted in the Hardware forum, I'm going to merge that thread with this, and move this one over there

9. Gnosisless

Gnosisless

Don, now that Rog has merged these threads, let's hope the USB experts here can you find out why that card isn't working. That will probably resolve your printer issue.

As per my email, I'd first try uninstalling it and reinstalling it. This will take less time than extended troubleshooting, and might just work.

Some posters here have said which slot you put a card in makes all the difference. I'd probably just completely uninstall it (software AND card, using a different slot, if possible) and start from scratch, if I were you. If you have to load drivers, make sure you have the latest version for your OS.

Good luck!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66912

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice