1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"illegal System Dll Relocation"

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Rollin' Rog, Apr 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog Thread Starter

2. Killazys

Killazys

This DOES make me feel special!

3. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, This has helped me once, ran into someone with this issue and the fix solved the problem! Thanks for posting this Rog.(y)

4. mark12-10

mark12-10

Hey
    Nice post . But have you got one for sp1? i cant upgrade to sp2 because the dll is missing.
    but your post wont work because i have sp1 :confused:

i get the following message
    (iv attached it)

Attached Files:

5. Rollin' Rog

No, if MS isn't offering one for SP1 you are going to have to update. If you are antsy about downloading SP2 -- I believe you can still order the CD, which is the better way to go anyway.

6. mark12-10

mark12-10

Hey

No its not that im antsy its i can download and i have . but it wont let me install it because the Dll is missing. Would the cd install or would i get the same thing:confused:
    Regards,
    M.C.MAGUIRE

7. Rollin' Rog

Why not just uninstall the update causing the problem or do a system restore -- then install SP2, then install the update.

8. dungeonguard

dungeonguard

9. crazi albie

crazi albie

HEWY rollin rog
    great post
    helped me al ot thankl man(y)

10. Rollin' Rog

Glad to see some folks are actually reading the stickies here :D ;)

11. kimterry

kimterry

Thanks for the fix to this but my biggest problem is I can't get the download dialogue box to come up every one of 5 computers in the house (2 laptops) will go only to a "page not found....." window when I hit the download button for the hotfix. Do I inadvertently have something turned off that should be on or what? This is driving me nuts, lol. Thanks for any help. - :D

12. Vanicent

Vanicent

Thank you for posting this. I couldn't figure out what I had done to my laptop to cuse the error message to appear, but this has explained the cause, and solved the problem.

Thanks again.

13. Foxbluff

Foxbluff

Thanks, Rollin' Rog!

14. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Too late, I had to search this out myself! :D

Good idea putting this here, I suspect a lot of people are going to be seeing this one.

15. whit44

whit44

Rog...I've been tearing out what little hair I have left trying to solve this identical problem that wifey came up with on her puter a few days ago (not on mine, although we both have XP SP2 Home Edition).

Searched MSKB for the error words (NADA anything current came up when I searched!), fruitlessly researched all the recent critical Win update KBs she had installed for some possible insight, copied error logs, stored screenshots of possibly related files, and finally in desperation, sent off an email to the Realtek vendor's tech support contact (in Taiwan, no less!) as MS's error screen suggests (no reply so far), plus finally tried a 'Restore' to a month prior to problem showing up, only to be told that XP couldn't restore to that date as nothing had changed! (huh?)

Anyway, bottom line, started searching for web help again just a bit ago and saw your sticky...jumped to your link, downloaded MS's "hot fix," problem solved in less than 5 minutes!

I mean, what can I say, sir? Words just don't do justice to your thoughtfully posting such a timely and effective public service post! Muchos gracias, amigo!

whit :)

p.s. You know, ya gotta wonder how the masses who haven't a clue how to solve a problem and could care less on learning how, EVER manage to deal with such as this one? Wouldn't you think that when MS goofs, they'd make the effort to headline some announcements somewhere that would grab most people's attention? Sheesh! :confused:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!